Shopping for a new rangefinder...

Please keep us posted

Took them out to the gun range briefly after work today to play a bit more. I got a read on that pesky steel plate rumored to be one mile, that I hadn't been able to hit with my Swaroskvi's since it was put up.

1770 yards... I hit it (and/or the hill 10 yards behind it) over-and-over-again without a single mis-read, and this was all handheld, no tripod. I hit everything out to 1880 yards no problem. Mostly steep hillsides, rocks, cliffs, patches of sagebrush, bushes, but really anything I pointed it at... I did not get a reading past 1880 yards, almost like it was capable of going further, but programed not to. I worked my way up a steep hillside going about 10 yards further on each reading and had instantaneous, repeated, reads right up to 1880 yards, but anything past that was a no-go... It is rated for 1860 yards so no disappointment I guess.

Oh and I took 2-shots at the 1-mile steel plate with the 338 LM. Hit on the second shot. Missed the wind call by 3 mph on the first shot which was a .6 mil wind drift difference at that distance (11 mph verses 14 mph, full value). Easy to spot my own shots with 2.6 seconds of flight time.

Got the PLRF15 about 3 months ago after using the 1600 lieca for years. The Lieca is good but the Vectronics IS the holy grail!:rolleyes:

Originally Posted by cummins cowboy
"do yourself a favor and get a decent RF, vortex and leupold are only going to be reliable to about 400 yards past that its probably going to take several tries to get a range. I personally would recommend a set of used geovids. havne't looked lately but I have seen them for as cheap as 1200 in the past. once you have used RF binoculars you will not go back."

You said it Cowboy!!!

+1.

I recently purchased the Bushnell Elite 1 Mile ARC and couldn't be happier. Performance and ranging have been spot on out to 1500 meters which is about the limit of my ability reliably but I'll be shooting 1609 meters soon. The ARC functions perfectly and saves me money on the ACI I was planning on buying. I shoot Hornady 208gr AMaxs, 215gr Bergers, Black Hills with 210gr Berger VLDs and Sierra 220gr SMKs and can program the 1 Mile ARC with the ballistic info from the Bushnell website. I use this as a reference but use AB Mobile on my Droid and Kestrel to do my final firing solutions. I was at a small SF base in AFG recently and this is the LRF that they were using along with the Vectronix. I figured that I couldn't do better than that, especially for the price, and the price was good! I used my retired military bennies and bought it thru AAFES. Couldn't beat that!

DocB

Animo et Fide "Courage and Faith"

DocB, how long have you had your 1-Mile Elite? Has it been ranging consistently for you? I have been thinking about buying the same unit. Thanks

DocB, how long have you had your 1-Mile Elite? Has it been ranging consistently for you? I have been thinking about buying the same unit. Thanks

Hey 450, I've had it for two months now. Since the newer Elite 1 Mile CONX with bluetooth came out, the prices have dropped on the Elite 1 Mile Arc considerably. I've ranged cattle and horses consistently out to 1200 meters and large rocks, structures and vehicles at 1500 over flat and rolling terrain. I'm quite pleased with it. It does everything I need it to do reliably. There are different functions and ranging modes which will be limited by the capabilities of the system, but the 'normal' mode is what I normally use past 800 meters and have found it to be quite reliable. I like it, hope you do also.

Good Luck!

DocB

With our 260s, 6.5x47s and 338 LM the 1600 worked well. We were able to range most distances out to 1760 but there were a few times that the 1600 struggled with a dark targets at 1000+

Now that the 375 Snipe Tac and 375 VM2 are in the mix the PLRF15 just plain takes care of anything you would ever want to range and attempt to hit, unbelievable what it can range, we wonder why we waited so long to get the PLRF15.

We will still use the 1600 just because it works well on the majority of the mid range targets.

Cheers

With our 260s, 6.5x47s and 338 LM the 1600 worked well. We were able to range most distances out to 1760 but there were a few times that the 1600 struggled with a dark targets at 1000+

Now that the 375 Snipe Tac and 375 VM2 are in the mix the PLRF15 just plain takes care of anything you would ever want to range and attempt to hit, unbelievable what it can range, we wonder why we waited so long to get the PLRF15.

We will still use the 1600 just because it works well on the majority of the mid range targets.

Cheers

Absolutely without a doubt the best LRF I have used, unfortunately I didn't have $3k available for a LRF. If you have the money, this is the 'one'!

DocB

I am patiently waiting for the new Sig Sauer rangefinder to be available. It was announced at the SHOT SHOW as the Kilo 1600 but I see now that it is starting to show up as the Kilo 2000. It supposedly has a retail price in the 500 dollar range and rumor has it that it has a built in "shoot to" inclinometer.

For hunting purposes if I can get a reasonable price range range finder that will read deer/elk hair at 1200 yds and give me the inclination I'll figure out the rest. Been using a 1200 Leica for years and keep waiting for the electronics to go South one day.

I can not find any info on the Kilo beam devergence to evaluate if this is all marketing hype or a useable unit. Time will tell.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.