Scope Selection for new LR Rifle

Moman

Guys, I'm very very new to the concept of Long Range Shooting and need some advice. I have a 300 Win being restocked and accurized and I need to decide on a scope for this. I have been set all along on getting a VX-III in 4.5X14X40 (1-inch tube) with the BC reticle to keep it lightweight and simple. But the more I read on this sight, everyone seems to be using turret adjustments rather than relying on the range compensating reticle. I have lately thought about getting this same scope but in the long range model, with the 30 mm tube so I could at least add adjustable turrets to it later as my experience grows. My initial thought with this was to have a 500 yard rifle, which I think either of these scopes would handle, but it seems most people outgrow this in time. I really need some good solid advice on this. :eek:

there are just to may variables to those reticals you are smarter to go with the long range version with turrits or send one in to leupold custom shop and haveing them installed. the other thing that you will want to consider is that with the long range version you will have side focus instead of a AO on the 1" tube. you will be doing most of your shooting in the prone position and it sucks to use an AO. next is that you may say it now that you will only be shooting to 500yards. once you reach that you will want to go forther, with the retical you cant, with the turrits you can. good luck.

IMO the scope is just as important as the rifle. If you are thinking of serious long range shooting in the future you really need a scope that's made to adjust to each shot situation accurately. I'm in the process of having a rifle built that will be a dedicated long range elk rifle and am putting the best scope my budget will allow. I have actually put a few things on hold so I could up the quality of the scope. I researched for months so have an idea of what you are going through. Hope this helps somewhat

Jim

The Leupold scopes are pretty good kit for basic hunting, but you will find that for true long range work repeatable turrets are a far better way to go. The precalculated reticles are not precise enough to count on, they can not adjust for changes in bullet, velocity, elevation or weather conditions.
Turrets are used to make far more precise adjustments than the 1/4 minute of deer that the precaculated retciles are capable of.
Personally a mildot is far too much math for me, why anyone would make a scope with milradian reticle and moa turrets escapes me.
I know it is likely more $$ than you planned for but take a look at Nightforces NXS scope line with MOA reticles, they are very user friendly and will last a lifetime without having to upgrade when you get bored with 500 yards.
The 300 is easily capable to 1000 yards and beyond and once the LR virus get ahold of you, 500 yards will be boring.

My tho'ts are that a 1/4min click is more accurate that attempting to discern a tenth of a mil or a tenth of a moa.

The problem is that clicking takes time and sometimes the time just isn't there. But it usually is, well most times, once in awhile I think.;)

I have a few of the 4.5-14x40 Leupold Long Range scopes. I would say get one. They are wonderful. You can always have a custom reticle made or add turrets later. I thing you will really like it.

You can use the B&C reticle with turrets so if you like it get it. vx-3's have excellent glass for the money. It doesn't matter what reticule you have if your clicking up or down as long as it has cross hairs it will work.

I would agree with Linksmechanic and add that unless you are some distance before your 40th birthday I would move up to the 50mm objective. As the distance to the target increases the need for higher magnification increases which requires more light to pass through the scope to your eyes inorder to resolve details. Late evening and early morning on cloudy days with animals in the shadows requires a lot of light transmission for the older eyes.

But lets also remember that more important then objective lens are the amount of light the ocular lens allows to your eye. the human eye can only use an average of 6mm of light and no matter what scope you buy a 36mm to 56mm objective lens wont do any good all scope have between a 3mm to 5mm cone of light that reaches your eye so your bigger lens up front is more of a marketing ploy then anything else. a better option is to go with a 30mm tube 44mm odjective lens and 36mm ocular lens.

But lets also remember that more important then objective lens are the amount of light the ocular lens allows to your eye. the human eye can only use an average of 6mm of light and no matter what scope you buy a 36mm to 56mm objective lens wont do any good all scope have between a 3mm to 5mm cone of light that reaches your eye so your bigger lens up front is more of a marketing ploy then anything else. a better option is to go with a 30mm tube 44mm odjective lens and 36mm ocular lens.

I am going to go outside tonight and check becuase I just got to believe the moon is full.

Okay, not hyjacking (I hope)

I finally got my select match ss shilen in the mail so my project is finally moving forward.

Its a heavy 26" sporter barreled for the 280 AI I want it to be a 600ish yd gun, I know most of it depends on me!

Anyway I finally got the chance to look through the LR 300mm 4.5X14X40 and really like it, I think the 30mm just plain looks better to my eyes,

I also looked at the basic mark 4, so for those of you using the VXIII, how has it tracked for you? How has it tracked VS a NF (if this applies to you)

I quess I'm really leaning towards the VXIII, because of its lack of extended turrets, (just a bit more streamlined for a carry rifle) with a 250 yd zero it would handle most of my field shots, but with practice I would like to extend my range, and it seems like it would be a simple deal to just unsrew the cap, it would be a setup shot so I figure I would have time to do it????

any futher comments?? (also, any recomendations for a bullet proof base and rings would also be appreciated!)

I have had a VX111 4x14x40 on a 1 inch tube for about 10 or 12 years. For longer range paper punching 350 yards was about its lot unless there was a lot on contrast on the target. I have gone out to 500 yards with it but it was a struggle. In low light it is also not as good as Nightforce/Ziess/Swaro etc as the lightish plex reticule tends to vanish.

I hasten to add that my eyes are not perfect being 54 years old and neading reading glasses.

A

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.