New scope for LR 300WM?

ATH

My Sendero 300WM currently wears a Nikon Tactical circa 2004. It's a nice scope but it was not designed for the recoil of a 300WM. I've taken a few too many hits between the eyes from it and have always planned on replacing it when I had a reason to.

I just had a .358 WSM 1.8" (Indiana deer season legal wildcat) build and moved over my Bushnell Elite 6500 Tactical from my Savage-based smokeless ML to the .358. I'm planning to turn the action holding the smokeless ML into a .243 AI next year, which will be perfect for the Nikon Tactical.

Which brings me back to the 300WM. I'd like a new 30mm scope for this gun with sufficient eye relief so I can enjoy shooting it. To 900 yards on game, 1200 yards max shooting distance planned. I backpack this gun long distances into wilderness areas. I've been in such shape that gun weight has been little concern but that will (unfortunately) change over time.

Budget about $1K. Looking at the following:
Bushnell 4.5-30X50 Tactical:
Bushnell 4.5-30x50 Elite Tactical 30mm Rifle Scope

I like the low-end magnification (not all shooting is long range), also not sure I need 30X. Or the extra weight involved in a 50mm objective, though the gun currently wears one.

I looked at Vortex too but see only capped windage turrets, which is a non-starter. Any other recommendations appreciated. Also comments on 40-44mm vs 50mm objectives for intended purpose.

Vortex 4-16 or 6x24 hst would be a good choice and at 549.00 leaves a lot of room for ammo. It has exposed windage and elevation caps and a zero stop. Any questions holler I've got several on rifles as well as set up quite a few others with them as well.

Jordan@406

Vortex 4-16 or 6x24 hst would be a good choice and at 549.00 leaves a lot of room for ammo. It has exposed windage and elevation caps and a zero stop. Any questions holler I've got several on rifles as well as set up quite a few others with them as well.

Jordan@406

Thanks, I now see the HS-T which I missed before, with both turrets:
Vortex 4-16x44 Viper HS-T 30mm Rifle Scope

Curious for opinions on the 44mm vs 50mm objective, with 4-16 vs 6-24 respectively for magnification. My longest hunting shot ever was ~700 yards with 16X and I can't say I felt under-magnified....almost more concerned about what happens if I have to use the gun up close on the lowest setting.

With a 1k budget my vote goes to the Viper PS-T 6-24. Uncapped windage and elevation turrets, zero stop, illuminated, and available in ffp (if you want) for less than 1k. I had one and it worked fine.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.