Scope Recommendations

OP, you face a challenge finding what you're after in a LIGHT weight scope. Good suggestion on Swaro and Leupold as a start. Once you go up to 30 oz. ther's a whole new world of options. I have heard many good things about March as well but no personal experience with them.

I have a Swaro Z5 3-18x44 (16 oz) on one sheep rifle and a Swaro Z6i 5-30x50 (22 oz) on another. Both have custom Swaro turrets for my load. The Z5 is on a .257 Wby and the Z6i is on a 6.5 SAUM w/ 140 Bergers going at 3150 fps. The 6.5 set up gives me a range of nearly 1000 yds...at which I never expect to shoot an animal. I opted for the illuminated reticle bec. all the sheep I seem to shoot have been in snow, rain, fog or all of the above...the red dot helps there. It's also very nice at the range to dial up the power to see your groupings.

Good luck in your search and let us know where you land.

Sightron scopes I think is best bang for buck. I own 4 Sightron III 10-50x60.
They are not a NIGHTFORCE but they have excellent turrets and excellent glass.
You can buy the big scopes like i have for under $1000.00
Warranty ( life time ) is great if you have to use it. Marty

I have a vortex AMG 6-24 MRAD. I've had it for a year. I've used it for Deer, coyote hunting and PRS/NRL match shooting and I have only grown to like it more the more I use it.

The reticle is visible for me throughout the entire power range and it's tracked true for me to 1440 yards. Many other scopes have come and gone in the last year but this Scope will be in my safe for a long time.

I've had 2 Mark 5 3.6-18 scopes and they are good scopes but the reticle selection left me wanting. The new moa reticle is pretty good in my opinion if that's your thing?

18 is way under power for any precision at 1000..even for steel unless it really really big.

I THINK 6-24 is about min for his use.
6x is pretty high power when you get into some timber. It makes it difficult to aquire an animal moving thru the trees etc. An elk or deer etc is a fairly large target so practicing on steel I use a size that's close to kill zone size.

OP is gonna get a lot of suggestions but it all depends on what works for you. Do you have any close buddie with some scope mention here on this thread that you could try and see what feels natural to you ?

Looking for a lighter quality scope
At least 20x but would prefer at least 25.

The scopes I'm looking at are
Vortex AMG
Leaupold Mark 5 hd
Nightforce SHV
Nightforce NXS

Am I missing any other scopes on the lighter side? Around 30.0 oz and under
Nxs is my vote

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts