Scope Recommendation

Glocklover72

I'm fairly new to long range hunting and shooting. I just purchased a Nosler M48 in 6.5 Creedmoor. I would like to be able to stretch it out to 600 yds or beyond one day. Should I go with 3.5-10 or 4.5-14. I'm wanting to keep the rifle as light as possible to carry for backpack hunting.

We have a NF NXS 3.5~15x50 on my wifes light weight 6.5 creedmoor hunting rifle and we get along with it real well.
If you looking for a F1 option, I like the NF 4~16x42.

Are you talking 600 yds as a hunting application or as a target application? I think the answer is different. To me, depending on the load you are using 600 yds is about the limit for deer sized animals. You should be around 100 ft lbs of energy which many seem to use as a guide line as a minimal energy level for deer sized game. With that said many have killed deer with 6.5 creed at much longer ranges and I sit in no judgement of those that do. In this regard either scope you mention will work fine, but I would lean towards the 4.5-14.

If competitively target shooting at 600, I would go higher magnification than those listed. If doing so for fun, you can do well at 600 with 14 power.

Lots of very good scope deals out there right now. It's end of hunting season for most and dealers are clearing the shelves for next years models. It happens every year around this time. With all the deals out there right now, I would try to get a scope in the 5x zoom range. Something like a 3-15.

Definitely get the 4.5-14 over 3.5-10 though, for all the reasons mentioned above.

Lots of very good scope deals out there right now. It's end of hunting season for most and dealers are clearing the shelves for next years models. It happens every year around this time. With all the deals out there right now, I would try to get a scope in the 5x zoom range. Something like a 3-15.

Definitely get the 4.5-14 over 3.5-10 though, for all the reasons mentioned above.
where do you look for scope deals?

I'm fairly new to long range hunting and shooting. I just purchased a Nosler M48 in 6.5 Creedmoor. I would like to be able to stretch it out to 600 yds or beyond one day. Should I go with 3.5-10 or 4.5-14. I'm wanting to keep the rifle as light as possible to carry for backpack hunting.
You can get by with either but give the VX-6 3-18x50 a look instead. I also like my 4-24x52 VX-6's but I'm going to probably end up replacing all of my other scopes eventually with the 3-18x50's.

With the TMOA or B&C reticles they are just awfully hard to beat for the money.

I've got the Swarovski z5 3.5-18.. the Leupold VX5HD and a VX6. I also have a Burris Veracity 3-15 (FFP).

While the Veracity won't win any prizes in this competition in this group of glass. It also is the least money. I wouldn't be afraid to go hunting with it on any given day.

Late light and overall clarity.... The Swarovski wins. However, the BRH reticle is busier and more cluttered than the Leupolds Boone and Crockett. I've hunted a number of years with them and have come to like and trust them.

You can get by with either but give the VX-6 3-18x50 a look instead. I also like my 4-24x52 VX-6's but I'm going to probably end up replacing all of my other scopes eventually with the 3-18x50's.

With the TMOA or B&C reticles they are just awfully hard to beat for the money.
Rosewood,
Thats funny, I have both those scopes also. Used the 3-18 for deer hunting this year, loved it.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.