Scope recommendation/opinion on a lite Mtn rifle

Reemty J

I am in the process of purchasing a 6# 2 oz 338-06AI custom rifle and would like to hear your experience or opinions on what scope I should put on it. I am a nightforce guy mostly really like the ruggedness and click up and down ability. Not a Leupold fan. I am cautious about putting a 28-30 oz scope on it but like the 30mm tube, would like at least 15 power at top end as I believe this is a 500-700 yard rifle. What would you recommend people? I am older and think a lighter rifle may be pretty nice in rough country.

I know that you don't like Leupold's, but, if it were me, and you're not going for really long ranges……I'd be look'n for an old, 2.5-8 Vari-X III. Shouldn't be an issue to 500 or a bit more on big game! Tough as hell, good glass, and pretty darn light…..what's not to like? 😉 memtb

Last edited:
I have a Swaro Z3 3-10 on a 300 WM. It has the BRH reticle in it. 12+ oz I think. Glass is very nice. I have quite a few scopes with Japanese glass. This one Euro glass is best, even at only 10x. I have been eyeing a few 4-12x that have been floating around.

I did mount this on my lightweight 300 ultra for a time. It held zero for multiple outings. I never hunted hard with it though. Pick up rifle, walk to tree stand, put rifle down...

I like dialing, but seems like where I hunt, there is no need. The 18x Z5 may be the one to look at. They do make a new Z6 (I think) that is a 300mm tube, but it's a little rich for me. At that price, I want NF dials and ruggedness.

IMG_3036.jpeg

Last edited:
Not sure what tier glass you are looking for... I have a vortex razor hd lht. The first gen (SFP version). In my opinion very clear. Capped windage, locking elevation (pull up to dial then can click turret back down to lock). 19 oz. I have had it a couple years now and have no complaints yet... Some deer hunting and some varmint hunting time on it. Nice, light, clear- no other demands from me ☺️

I am in the process of purchasing a 6# 2 oz 338-06AI custom rifle and would like to hear your experience or opinions on what scope I should put on it. I am a nightforce guy mostly really like the ruggedness and click up and down ability. Not a Leupold fan. I am cautious about putting a 28-30 oz scope on it but like the 30mm tube, would like at least 15 power at top end as I believe this is a 500-700 yard rifle. What would you recommend people? I am older and think a lighter rifle may be pretty nice in rough country.
Brother, check out the SWFA 3-15 (30MM, 24 ozs, made from Japan) for your consideration.
https://www.swfa.com/swfa-3-15x42-ss-30mm-riflescope-107011.html. If you do not mind MIL and FFP, this scope is built like a tank - lots of content for the money. I do not have this particular scope, but I have its 5-20 big brother, 16X, and 20X.

Ed

Recent Posts