Scope recommendation/opinion on a lite Mtn rifle

I know that you don't like Leupold's, but, if it were me, and you're not going for really long ranges……I'd be look'n for an old, 2.5-8 Vari-X III. Shouldn't be an issue to 500 or a bit more on big game! Tough as hell, good glass, and pretty darn light…..what's not to like? 😉 memtb
That 2.5-8 x 36mm Leupold, was a favorite of custom rifle builder gunsmiths, because it didn't ever overpower the rifle. Those scopes could be 25 years old and still bring nearly same price as when new.

That one has fixed parallax -- for that price, I'd look for a Z5 3.5-18, but the turrets are MOA only until you get to the Z6. The BRX/BRH reticles are mil based, so if you want matching turret and reticle, with adjustable parallax, Swaro really makes you pay for it...

The other thing to remember is Swaro's ballistic turret is limited in adjustment, due to the zero stop, with a 100yd zero it'll get a some cartridges out to 700-800yd, but lack of adjustment can be limiting for some.

That 2.5-8 x 36mm Leupold, was a favorite of custom rifle builder gunsmiths, because it didn't ever overpower the rifle. Those scopes could be 25 years old and still bring nearly same price as when new.

We have 2 of them in QR's, zero'd and on standby…..we moved up to a little higher magnification with the first generation 3.5-10 CDS. No plans to "ever" get rid of the 2.5-8's! 😉 memtb

6.2 lb isn't crazy light but is definitely on the lighter side of the long range aspect. 5-700 yards is a lot different than 4-500 yards with a 6 lbd rifle and 06 powder column.

My long thoughts are as follows.

Most of us started on a bone stock 7 and 1/2 lb rifle with a basic scope on it, some hunting situation led us to long range skills and we ended up with big long heavy special rifles. Eventually long range shooting becomes a tool in the box not the only tool and we get a little older and decide a 14 pound 50 inch long rifle is great for long but leaves a bit to be desired the other 90% of the time. So we build a rifle that incorporates fast twist high bc bullets, good triggers and stocks that work a bit better into more traditional size rifles.

Long and short of it is some kind of compromise.

Given your criteria my compromise would probably be the 15x high end, aside from that the nxs compact 2.5-10x42 fits the bill pretty well. While a dated design it's a very proven scope and at 22 oz would sit atop a 6.2 pound rifle heavier than say a z3 but still reasonable.

I have had issues with the eyebox on my NF 10x. It seems like you just can't ever get rid of the scope shadow. It centers up, but just never seems to look right. That said, I love it...but have talked to others that have said the same. You would want to get behind one before buying.

There is a Mil/Mil one on Rokslide right now and I have considered getting another, so I guess I don't mid it that bad... 🤣

At 22oz and bombproof it's a winner.
I have shot the Atacr and don't like the eye relief at all, I do tend to stick with the NXS and SHV in the night force scopes. Pros and cons for everything

I have 2 Swarovski Z5's and love them. They are on my lighter weight mountain rifles (300WSM & 30-06). You can get custom turrets built by Swarovski, Kenton Industries or Outdoorsman. The latter two also offer a basic MOA turret. There is another company (ZnikiZ) that has a series of "rings" that fit 5 instead of the 3 dots you get with the scope. I use this on my 30-06 and it's a great alternative since you aren't locked in to any specific bullet and ballistics. See the attached photo.
Also, look at the Zeiss V6. It's a wonderful scope, too. I understand your love of NF, for I have 2 NXS and an ATACR, but their weight can be an issue.

Attachments

• 1D6CC356-9423-4F2B-9FC9-F9F6A9DDF213.png
    1D6CC356-9423-4F2B-9FC9-F9F6A9DDF213.png
    83.1 KB · Views: 27
As mentioned .Been going threw same thing with my 6.5.I really like my mark 5 on my 338Nm.SO one in the 3-18x44,12'',26oz.The trig icon 3-18x44,15'',240z.Nx82-20x50,12'',280z. I favor FF,and mil.If I liked scope more, it would replace my March fi 3-24x50,on my 7#338NM.Which fails past 20 x. I like 20x on high end. Wants that don't match my budget TT 315M,13.8'',27 0z.

You could also look into some March scopes. Good glass, not to heavy and great turrets.
Love my March and it's shared with all my hunting calibers. 3-24 FFP with illumination. The reticle, low turrets, 23oz, 8x zoom sold me and I couldn't find anything to get me off it. It's amazing how reticles can really sway you. I wish the Boone & Crocket was in more options than just VX6's. I use an Athlon Ares BTR Gen2 for .22lr and .308 target rifles. It's a bit heavier and has a Christmas tree reticle. But it's a good back-up to keep around just in case.

S&B Klassik 3-13x42 with BDC elevation turret and P3 reticle would be my first choice if you want/need variable. I also like the PMII 10x42 with P3 reticle for a fixed power, bombproof scope. The Klassik has fixed parallax at 100m, the PMII has fixed parallax at 300m.

This is true:

The other thing to remember is Swaro's ballistic turret is limited in adjustment, due to the zero stop, with a 100yd zero it'll get a some cartridges out to 700-800yd, but lack of adjustment can be limiting for some.

He has a 700 yd top end so even with heavy bullets and only a 30-06 powder capacity 700 should probably be doable with a single rotation. 6.2 pounds at range will show a multitude of sins in shooting technique at long range. I've one gun at 6.2 base weight and another with the same reamer but 10.5 pounds, while both are accurate the heavier is a lot less twitchy in field positions to get behind.