Scope recommendation/opinion on a lite Mtn rifle

I have the Nightforce nx8 4-32x50 love it, Trijicon tenmile 4-24x50 love it, and the Vortex razor lht 3-15x42 love it also. I prefer each as listed. But best bang for the buck would be Trijicon tenmile hands down for reliability, clarity, and repeatability. Eurooptic has great deals on them. But any of these optics won't let you down. I prefer exposed turrets for adjustment and all are 2nd focal plane because they are for hunting. I have other bigger heavier scopes for long range target shooting that are 1st focal.
20221029_153649.jpg
16664632011046939214390907471860.jpg
20220923_111824.jpg

Last edited:
I am in the process of purchasing a 6# 2 oz 338-06AI custom rifle and would like to hear your experience or opinions on what scope I should put on it. I am a nightforce guy mostly really like the ruggedness and click up and down ability. Not a Leupold fan. I am cautious about putting a 28-30 oz scope on it but like the 30mm tube, would like at least 15 power at top end as I believe this is a 500-700 yard rifle. What would you recommend people? I am older and think a lighter rifle may be pretty nice in rough country.
the newer Vortex Razor HLT 4.5x22x50 ffp (21.7 oz) or a Leupold Mark 5 with the TMR (MK) 3x18x44 (26 oz).
I have the older Razor HLT 3x15x50 sfp (20.5 oz). Very good light scope.

March
Doesn't make much sense to me to build a light weight rifle and put a heavy scope on it. But each to his own. If recoil is not an issue with you, and 500 yards is maximum, I'd opt for an aluminum scope in the 2-8 to 3.5-10 magnification range. IMO, that all points to Leupold. Down south, 15 magnification provides too much mirage due to our heat. For 500 yards, 10 power is plenty and should be clearer.
You can dial a 3-15 DOWN to 10x, but you can't dial a 3.5-10 UP to 15x...

I live and hunt in AZ, and I definitely know all about mirage. 3-15x is my minimum requirement on a hunting scope.

Just curious as you guys offer other name brands, I am familiar with nightforce, I dial up and down a lot, is Leica or others as accurate with dial back to zero? I will stay with a 30 mm as 1 inch to me, doesn't cut it. Lance I agree with your power range on magnification. I do not care what caliber you shoot, all can shoot to a 1000 yards, maybe not enough energy for reasonable kills, but for steel, it works, just ask Billy Dixon when he shot some of those Comanche's at 1400 yards with a 45-70 or close to it. I like you all giving your experience and feed back, Bama92, the beautiful grizzly bear killer, I think I may love this caliber too!

Nightforce, Vortex razor, Trijicon, and Leica will all return to zero and track with no issues. They all can fail but it's not the norm. I haven't had any of my scopes not track as they should. I would buy any with confidence.
I'd add Leupold Mark 5's to that list. NF are just too heavy for hunting. And I really like the Vortex EBR mil and the Leupold TMR(mk) reticles. And both companies offer a mil/le/fr discount.

I have the Nightforce nx8 4-32x50 love it, Trijicon tenmile 4-24x50 love it, and the Vortex razor lht 3-15x42 love it also. I prefer each as listed. But best bang for the buck would be Trijicon tenmile hands down for reliability, clarity, and repeatability. Eurooptic has great deals on them. But any of these optics won't let you down. I prefer exposed turrets for adjustment and all are 2nd focal plane because they are for hunting. I have other bigger heavier scopes for long range target shooting that are 1st focal.View attachment 469560View attachment 469559View attachment 469558
People constantly say sfp is better for hunting. Maybe for a 200 yard max rifle. FFP at lower magnifications and/or in dark woods, turn on the illumination. I do have the same sfp Razor, it's a good scope. But I will replace it on my 7mag soon with the newer FFP Razor HLT.
I have at the range forgot a sfp scope wasn't at max magnification and missed due to reticle subtenions not being correct. FFP is always correct. My 2c.

Attachments

• 20210129_224943.jpg
    20210129_224943.jpg
    505.5 KB · Views: 23
Im in agreement with you, have swapped out all sfp non duplex scopes. Nothing worse than having subtensions be off on a sfp scope on the wrong power. Ffp eliminates that error so if i pull up on something with my mag range anywhere in the zoom range holds are the same. Ffp hunting scopes are slowly coming out in more and more flavors, and it's a good thing.