Scope recommendation for Rem 700

You'll find that you get more scope for the buck if you go with 3x9 scopes.
I really like VX3i Leupold. But even the cheaper Leupold scopes should work fine. I have other scope brands from Zeiss on down. You don't need a thousand dollar scope for the hunting you're talking about.

Budget = I'd like to stay under $1000.

I hunt during rifle season for five days and that's usually it. Maybe one more weekend. Rifle on order, time for the scope. I just ordered a Remington 700 in .308. I think I'll be happy with it. Now comes the time to order a scope. I needed to wait until I knew how much money I had left over to see if I could even get a scope or if I had to re-purpose another one I had and get the scope I wanted next year.

I'll mostly be doing standard woods hunting with some power line and open fields. 300 yds or less and typically 100 yds or less. With that in mind I think a 3-9x40mm will work but I'd like to discuss the actual value of going to a 50mm.

I've only owned one scope in my life which was a Nikon Buckmaster 3-9x40mm and I was happy with it for the price point. I've used a few other rifles with higher end (and more expensive) with a few bells and whistles and you can see the difference. One of them had great light gathering ability and another had some illuminated cross hairs which was nice.

I'd like your thoughts on if you agree on the 3-9x40mm (or 50mm) and what "extras" you think have real value. I don't want my lens filled up with so many playthings that I can't see the deer. I don't need range finders (I don't think) as I generally have an idea to all my markers, etc.

If you want to spend that much - the VX5HD 3-15x56 will be perfect. You'll be hard pressed to find a scope that performs better in low light.

Last edited:
Vortex scopes made in the USA and are excellent in both quality and lifetime warranty. Right now you can get a First Focal Plane
Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 EBR-1 Riflescope PST-416F1-A for $499 at Europtic ($400 off MSRP!). Also any of their new Diamondback Tactical FFP scopes are a great bargain. I have Vortex scopes on almost all my rifles and they are excellent.

https://www.longrangehunting.com/th...ampaign=ed1369&utm_content=iss62#post-1607346
Except for the Vortex Scopes with the Made in China sticker on em like my Razor HD Spotter. I don't knowingly buy products made by Rented Slaves In Asian Sweat Shops. Was disappointed when I opened the box and saw that sticker. Buyer Beware. I support American Shooters by buying American products

I hunt during rifle season for five days and that's usually it. Maybe one more weekend. Rifle on order, time for the scope. I just ordered a Remington 700 in .308. I think I'll be happy with it. Now comes the time to order a scope. I needed to wait until I knew how much money I had left over to see if I could even get a scope or if I had to re-purpose another one I had and get the scope I wanted next year.

I'll mostly be doing standard woods hunting with some power line and open fields. 300 yds or less and typically 100 yds or less. With that in mind I think a 3-9x40mm will work but I'd like to discuss the actual value of going to a 50mm.

I've only owned one scope in my life which was a Nikon Buckmaster 3-9x40mm and I was happy with it for the price point. I've used a few other rifles with higher end (and more expensive) with a few bells and whistles and you can see the difference. One of them had great light gathering ability and another had some illuminated cross hairs which was nice.

I'd like your thoughts on if you agree on the 3-9x40mm (or 50mm) and what "extras" you think have real value. I don't want my lens filled up with so many playthings that I can't see the deer. I don't need range finders (I don't think) as I generally have an idea to all my markers, etc.
buy a leopold mid range priced w/base and rings and be done tith it

Vortex scopes made in the USA and are excellent in both quality and lifetime warranty. Right now you can get a First Focal Plane
Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 EBR-1 Riflescope PST-416F1-A for $499 at Europtic ($400 off MSRP!). Also any of their new Diamondback Tactical FFP scopes are a great bargain. I have Vortex scopes on almost all my rifles and they are excellent.

https://www.longrangehunting.com/th...ampaign=ed1369&utm_content=iss62#post-1607346

I am pretty sure all of Vortex scopes with the exception of the AMG are NOT made in the USA...rather china, philipines, and Japan - which I understand their Japanese manufacturer has moved their operations to china...so that sucks. I sold my chinese made (thought they were made in japan when I bought them) viper hd binos and bought some Japanese made Leupold Binos. I have been buying leupold scopes recently because of the American made sticker.

I'd like your thoughts on if you agree on the 3-9x40mm (or 50mm)

Your magnification range sounds fine for inside of 300 yards, and agree with others you could go lower. A lower bottom to the range might be useful.

I would not go with a 50mm objective lens for this type of scope. At the very lowest light, the most your eye can take in is an exit pupil of around 8mm diameter. You'd have to dial down the 40mm scope to 5x magnification to achieve that 8mm diameter and you'd dial down a 50mm to 6x for the same light, so not much difference. But in reality, in the lowest light situations you're likely dialed down to absolute minimum magnification and looking at things pretty close, so both objective sizes have more than enough light (you could also go smaller than 40mm).

For this type of setup, I have been a fan of the Swarovski Z3 scopes, which have excellent clarity and light gathering, plus they weigh less than a pound. However, I recently tried a Tract Optics Toric model scope and was very impressed. To my eye, they're offering comparable quality and more options at a lower price. For your setup, you might look at their 2-10x42mm, which costs about $700. It does weigh 18.6 ozs., so not quite as lightweight as the Swarovski Z3s.

Except for the Vortex Scopes with the Made in China sticker on em like my Razor HD Spotter. I don't knowingly buy products made by Rented Slaves In Asian Sweat Shops. Was disappointed when I opened the box and saw that sticker. Buyer Beware. I support American Shooters by buying American products

You're going to be disappointed because less than 1% of gun scopes are made in the U.S. of A.
Break that down to specific scopes...like for long range shooting, and your down to like 3 scopes. Even US optics outsource...all though I've never been able to easily find their parts distributors, which is just shady.

It's just how capitalism works.

look at the Zeiss conquest scopes in 2,5x10 or 4.5x14 they are the clearest ive used !

I recently picked up 2 Meopta riflescopes and I can tell you I am impressed. Excellent clarity and brightness plus coming in at 17oz . The MeoPro 4.5-14 x44 that I got will be used on a Rem. 700 in .308. I had no issues mounting in med. rings. The Meopta Meopro also comes in 3-9x40 weighs less than a pound and I have seen prices under $450. If this interests you, drop me a note and I'll hook you up where I got mine and hopefully discounts still available? I originally put my Meopro on an AR before I changed my mind.

DSC_0050_1.jpg

Nikon and Zeiss make scopes with Reticles that are configured to the ballistics of the 308. The Zeiss Z-1000 had hashmarks to 1,000 with I believe a 168 gr bullet if you ever decide to stretch your distance out. I believe Nikons is marked to 600 yards. Also look at Leupold Burris Vortex. You will find a serviceable Scope to fit your needs and budget.

If you look up the ballistics used to figure a cal. and round specific scope, for the most part, you will be disappointed. The numbers you actually get are not what the box says and that right there puts you in a hole. For the most part, this is all well and good to get you on steel to 400 yards, but after that, it is better to have chronographed your load, measured sight height and take into account atmospheric conditions. Most folks won't extend their shooting past 200 yards to not a big deal, but if you and you aren't getting the accuracy you expected, there's a reason.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.