Scope recommendation for Rem 700

Oi.223

SCAMMER
Budget = I'd like to stay under $1000.

I hunt during rifle season for five days and that's usually it. Maybe one more weekend. Rifle on order, time for the scope. I just ordered a Remington 700 in .308. I think I'll be happy with it. Now comes the time to order a scope. I needed to wait until I knew how much money I had left over to see if I could even get a scope or if I had to re-purpose another one I had and get the scope I wanted next year.

I'll mostly be doing standard woods hunting with some power line and open fields. 300 yds or less and typically 100 yds or less. With that in mind I think a 3-9x40mm will work but I'd like to discuss the actual value of going to a 50mm.

I've only owned one scope in my life which was a Nikon Buckmaster 3-9x40mm and I was happy with it for the price point. I've used a few other rifles with higher end (and more expensive) with a few bells and whistles and you can see the difference. One of them had great light gathering ability and another had some illuminated cross hairs which was nice.

I'd like your thoughts on if you agree on the 3-9x40mm (or 50mm) and what "extras" you think have real value. I don't want my lens filled up with so many playthings that I can't see the deer. I don't need range finders (I don't think) as I generally have an idea to all my markers, etc.

The value of a 50mm obj is simply light gather and or exit pupil.

Sounds like you just want a scope that is ideal for point blank range.

I don't reckon you need any of the bells and whistles

Sounds like you should be able to get by with a 3-9x for a 300 yard shot. Then it 's a matter of glass clarity.

..... later ..... maybe check out a Leupold VX-2 or VX-3 if you want to buy new. Otherwise keep a lookout for a used Swarovski, Lieca, Zeiss, or Meopta.

Last edited:
Like was said the 50mm objective will gather more light for hunting in those last few minutes of fading light and dark woods. The 50mm will also make the scope set about 1/2" higher will raise the rear of the scope so that cheek weld is not quite as tight.
Also, be careful about scopes with fine reticles they can be hard to see in low light and low contrast situations.

Leupold VX3i 3.5-10x40 is an ideal and simple lightweight hunting scope,
I would also look at a
Leupold VX3i 4.5-14x40 30mm tube
This also an excellent scope, my favourite lightweight long range scope add the CDS dial if you ever want to shoot out further

I think even lower power scope would serve you just fine. For 300 yards or less I use a Zeiss Conquest 1.8-5.5x32mm. It was excellent light gathering and clarity. I've shot sage rats with that scope out to 300 yards and rock chucks out to 400 yards so deer will be no issue. And for out to 800 yards I've used a Leupold VariXIII 2.5-8x with Premier Reticle mildots. For hunting I prioritize light gathering, clarity, field of view, forgiving eyebox, and accurate color more so than magnification.

For that kind of hunting i like a plain duplex reticle and nothing over 42mm so it can be mounted lower. One of my top picks for price,size,weight,and performance would be a Leopold 2.5-8x36 vx-3i.around $400. Other choices would be nikon monarch or swarovski. Check out natchez for some good prices. For hunting at moderate ranges 6x is plenty and in thicker stuff 2 is great.

For the type of point blank hunting that you describe I use the VX3, 2.5x8x36 on a Browning A-Bolt bedded in in a B&C Stock. It is chambered in 30-06 and sports a lightweight 22 inch barrel. I have even taken this gun for Elk in areas that are more likely to provide a close shot in timber than a long range shot. Oh, yeah that's it in my avatar shot!

3x9 is plenty of magnification for your intended range. I parked a Vortex Diamondback on my 300WSM a few years ago due to budget constraints. I am well satisfied with it and have no reason to spend more money for higher end optics. That said, choose quality bases and rings to compliment your optics. If you don't have the tools to properly mount your new accessories paying a smith a few bucks is money well spent.

This page link may help explain the 40mm vs 50mm
https://forum.opticsplanet.com/about9-5733.html

I have to agree with the going 2x on the bottom end. That said you might be able to pick up a Leupold VX5 HD 2-10 in your price range. Not sure on that but it would cover you well for your hunting needs.

Vortex scopes made in the USA and are excellent in both quality and lifetime warranty. Right now you can get a First Focal Plane
Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 EBR-1 Riflescope PST-416F1-A for $499 at Europtic ($400 off MSRP!). Also any of their new Diamondback Tactical FFP scopes are a great bargain. I have Vortex scopes on almost all my rifles and they are excellent.

https://www.longrangehunting.com/th...ampaign=ed1369&utm_content=iss62#post-1607346

I have a Leupold 3.5-10x50 for deer hunting in Michigan where shots are 300 yards or less. I have a simple duplex. Not thin with no clutter. Perfect scope for low light conditions and for the range I'm shooting. Prices are under $400.

Leupold VariX3i or Burris Veracity would be great choices for your needs. I never had a problem with 4x at close range so I've always leaned towards the 4.5-14 or 4-16. I also don't find the 50mm Objectives too big to mount "low" enough to comfortably shoot. I have a VX6 in 3-18 x 50mm in Low Warne Light Weight Ring Bases on my 30 Nosler. Perfect setup.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.