scope problems

mparsons360

Hey Gents,

I have a quick question regarding a problem I'm having with my zeiss conquest. I've mounted the gun on my remington 700 action with leupold bases and rings. The problem I'm having is that I"m 2 inches low at 100 yards and am bottomed out on my turret. I think my problem is that my bases are too high; however, I'm not sure. If anyone has any advice or knows how to fix it I'd really appreciate it. I'm new to the long range community and would really like to start getting rounds down range. Thanks again!

Hey Gents,

I have a quick question regarding a problem I'm having with my zeiss conquest. I've mounted the gun on my remington 700 action with leupold bases and rings. The problem I'm having is that I"m 2 inches low at 100 yards and am bottomed out on my turret. I think my problem is that my bases are too high; however, I'm not sure. If anyone has any advice or knows how to fix it I'd really appreciate it. I'm new to the long range community and would really like to start getting rounds down range. Thanks again!

What rings are on it?...lo...med...hi..??

All of mine sit in medium rings mounted on EGW 15 minute rails and Im not even close to getting to the end of my adjustments

I think they're high I have a 44mm objective and its sitting way higher than the barrell... but I didn't examine them closely. I was too interested in blasting away.

There seem to be quite a few Rem 700 actions that have large boresight alignment errors using "standard" bases. I've heard there's a lot of variation at the Rem factory.

If it's the receiver, you will probably need to shim the base. Set the scope to the mechanical zero and determine how much alignment error there is. A boresight collimator is a useful tool. You could also pull the bolt and sight down the barrel at a target. Then calculate the necessary shim thickness.

I recommend Burris Signature rings to fine tune the alignment and correct any residual misalignment between the two bases. Otherwise, you should lap the Leupold rings.

I would start with the base, a one peice picatinny bedded to the action should set it level with the action. I would reccomend a steel base and JB weld for bedding compound. As stated Remmy's can have a lot of veriation and that may create stress on the scope with a two peice base.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.