SCOPE mounting question.

soundwaves

hard to explane this with out a pic. but l should be able to make it cleer anough :)

my scope is a NCX 8-32X56 it has lines on the elevation for every full rotation.

ex: _1 _2 _3 _4 _5 _6

my scope was pointing verry high.. the zero at 200 meters was on the 4th rotation line. so l took the scope of and changed the thingiy that levels the scope to a larger one that l had. now the zero at 200 yards is exactly at the bottom. so if l wanted to shoot at 100 meters or something l wouldnt be able to go down with the clicks.

l dont need any adjustments under 200 meters anyway. so l just zeroed the rifle like that and said this will have to do..!!! l shot at 300 meters and 400 meters to check if the amont of clicks l dield before would be the saim as it use to be when the zero was on the _4 line. it seems to need a extra click or two and an extra 3_4 clicks at 400 meters. but l couldnt tell for shure as the platform l was shooting off was horibly unstable and it was impossible to get a tight groop. at 300 and 400. the groops were good anough to hit a rabbit but still thay were not tight anough to tell.

may scope is a 1/4 MOA and it was 0 at 200 meter 11 clicks at 300 meter and 27 clicks at 400 meters.

now seems to be 0-12-33 OR one or two clicks more. shooting 175 grain PSP at 2860 fps 7mm rem mag.

the question is shouldnt l experience more dramatic changes in drop with changes in the angle of the scope looking up or down ??

If I'm reading this right.

You started with a 0 MOA rail and replaced it with probably a 20 or 30 MOA rail?

Is that correct?

As for your click values apparently changing my guess is you changed lot numbers of ammo and the load is a little milder.

Either that or something is very wrong.

This may sound insulting and I don't intend it that way but are you sure your original rail was not installed backwards?

I have seen guys in the past mount a rail that should be sloping rear to front with it sloping in the opposite direction.

If I'm reading this right.

You started with a 0 MOA rail and replaced it with probably a 20 or 30 MOA rail?

Is that correct?

As for your click values apparently changing my guess is you changed lot numbers of ammo and the load is a little milder.

Either that or something is very wrong.

This may sound insulting and I don't intend it that way but are you sure your original rail was not installed backwards?

I have seen guys in the past mount a rail that should be sloping rear to front with it sloping in the opposite direction.

no no nothing is backwords. ok now look... the back mount has a screw underneeth the knob that you turn to lock the mount in to the base. when you take that screw off there is a ring looking thing that you can change. that ring was to skinny so the back of the scope was low. this resulting in the scope pointing up. so changed that ring to a fatter one but think its just a tad to thick so the scope is pointing low. l like it this way as the zero for 200 meters is at rock bottom at the elevation adjustment on the scope and alows for lots of adjustments for long range shooting.

but are you saying the amount of clicks you dial in for a specific distance will not change if the angle of the scope mounted on the rifle changes. if so. must be the temprature and conditions afecting it.

this is a Picture l took a few years back. the scope on the Picture is long göne now but you should see the mount on this Picture.

http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab93/aussiekagan/100_2330.jpg

l always thought the amount of clicks wouldnt change for a spesific distance acording to changes in angles the scope is mounted. l always thought you would gain or loose elevatin adjustments depending on the angle ? am l right ? if so . it must be the weather as last time l zeroed the tempreture was much colder.

Depending if your front ring floats, if you change the height of the rear ring and your front ring doesn't follow the angle, you are binding your scope and causing your scope to do weird things.

Depending if your front ring floats, if you change the height of the rear ring and your front ring doesn't follow the angle, you are binding your scope and causing your scope to do weird things.

no. dont have that problem mate. the front follows the angle aswell.no problems. there.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.