Scope for 500 yds

nicholasw89

Hey guys. Im in the market for a new scope. I've been searching and figured I would just try and get some direct opinions. Budget = $500. Looking for a scope that with get me a clear picture to 500 yds. My current scope is a Leupold vx-1 2-7x33. I have been looking at Leupold, Nikon, Redfield, Zeiss terra 3, Minox ZA-5, bushnell or the Vortex scopes. Only real world hunting experiance I have is with the low line Leupold and a few bushnells. Also looking for a variable power scope with around a 12-18 max power with a minimum of a 40mm objective. Tube size doesnt matter to me. Just let me know of what you guys think. Thanks.

I had a nikon monarch 5x20x44mm that had custom turrets on it. It was a very clear, reliable scope, and when mounted on my semi custom remington 700 .308 it was easy to get out to 750 on steel with the BDC. I could dial it out max to 500 using the turrets but I ran out of elevation at 750 since its a 1 inch tube, and it was 1/8 MOA clicks which is ridiculous. I also have 3 nikon prostaffs and the nikon P223 3x scope which is really nice. I used a nikon prostaff 3x9x40 on a savage 111 LRH in 300 RUM out to 500 yards on steel. It was, again, clear glass, positive clicks, kept zero with the heavy recoil of the 300 RUM, and was brought back to a 100 yard zero with no issues. I really like the nikon scopes for their value. Prices range from 200-550 depending on model. If you want a 30mm tube they have the nikon monarch X which is a tactical scope and goes from anywhere from 950-1200. Good luck on your search.

edit: The nikon monarch comes in various sizes. I think the 4x16x44mm will suit you nicely. Also, the prostaff series have a 4x12x40mm which about 200.

Thanks for the input. I have been looking at the nikon prostaff 5 line in the 3.5-14x40 and the 4.5-18x40. I just don't have real world experience with most of the scopes I was looking at, so real word experience with your opinion is really helpful. Thanks again.

As 300W said, Nikon's 4-16x42 will get you to 500 yards and beyond. I also like the BDC reticle as it lets me dial in my rifle,scope and ammo to get the corresponding distances for the BDC reticle. Nikon's Spot On Ballistic PRogram is easy to use and very accurate. I have personally used the above scope to drill 10 inch steel plates at 500 yards. You are also in luck because this scope is under a Nikon Promo which gives you $80 off when you buy from an authorized Nikon Dealer. Hopefully if you choose this scope you can find a site sponsor that is participating in the Promo. I do some freelance PR work for Nikon but no sales just to let you know. For under $380 you get one heck of a scope and if you decide to add a custom turret dialed into your shooting data this scope can do that as well. Any question's drop me a note.

MONARCH 3 4-16x42 Side Focus BDC from Nikon

I just put a Vortex Viper HS 4X-16X 44mm and 50mm on a couple of rifles for a friend. He was using the old fixed 4 power Leupolds - not exactly long range capable. They were right around $500 and are nice scopes. The smaller one went on the 30-06 and the 50 mm on the 338 Win Mag. No issues with either and they track great. I have the Viper PST in 6X24 on a 7mm WSM. The more I use it the more I like it though I have others that are more expensive.

Hey check out the leupold Mark Ar. They come in 6-18 with a 40mm objective for around 475-500. I've taken my 4-12 out to 600 and it worked fine. They run in .1 mil adjustments but it's easy to use. I recommend em for just average shooting distances

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.