Scope for 500+ yards

I know I'm kind of redirecting this thread a little but... The more you guys talk and the more I'm reading I think that I'm leaning more towards a American made scope with a 18-20x top end. So what are your thoughts on a Burris Blackdiamond, Leupold Mark 4, or possibly a Trijicon Accupoint 5-20?

Groundhogs can be hard to find in a little cover at long range. I would try them all most shops will let.

You step out with a clerk and check .I personally have two huskamaw scopes. Love em the huntsmart reticle is easy and repeatable adj. For elevation good luck 1300 meters

Buy once and cry once,Nite Force.I use the 12-42 Br , but other guys I shoot with use the 22 and 36 variable powers and we shoot out to 1000 yards.All of us tried the burris ,sightron ,zeis ,leupolds and a couple of other names I can't spell or say.All of these scopes were good scopes and we didn't have any issues with them , but they did not perform like the Nite Forces.It is heavy and that is its downfall but if weight is not an issue then I would go with a Nite Force.I know I will take a bashing ,but that is how I see it.

I'm having a .257 Weatherby Magnum built for hunting/targets. I will be using it on groundhogs, coyotes, and deer anywhere from 300 out and im trying to decide on the glass. I'm leaning towards a Swarvoski Z5 in 3.5-18x or 5-25x. What would better suit my needs?
sorry to cut in i'm new to this site i have a new in the box swaravski 6x18x50 its a habicht with adjustable objective. if int my emails is [email protected]

I went with a Viper PST FFP 6-24x50 with the MOA reticle...

It's on order so it'll be a little bit before I have it, but I figured I would just stick with the Vortex. I like the FFP and I like the reticle in that scope.

I don't recall having evaluated the Leupold MK4 8.5 x 25. It would not be my first choice due to the high (25X) mag ratio. Glare performance at all magnifications gets worse as the magnification range increases. Glare performance is important because glare limits image contrast. Also, I prefer a lower mag than 8.5X on the low end. Otherwise, I like MK4 scopes and spotters.

I don't have a good sense of the Nightforce NXS 5.5x22 scope because the room lighting was poor above that booth at 2012 Shot. At previous shows I found the Nightforce optical performance to be average to above average for that price point.

I already commented on the Huskemaw 5-20. Optically, it's not in the the same league as either the Leupold or Nightforce. So there you have it. I guess my preference is for the Nightforce NXS 5.5x22, although it is heavy IIRC.

Which one do you prefer?

Bruce,
I'm now leaning towards a illuminated reticle for coyote hunting purposes and have it narrowed down to a NF NXS 5.5-22x56 or a MK4 6.5-20x50 LR/T. I'm going to look at the NF next weekend and am favoring that way...is it the better scope optically and mechanically in your opinion?

Thanks
gun)

I'm not in the habit of commenting on scopes I haven't inspected myself recently, so I can't say anything about the MK4. Between these two US manufacturers, I believe you tend to get what you pay for. The NXS costs about $250 more and weighs almost 50% more than the Mk4.

Other than the cost and weight, I don't see a big down side to the NXS.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.