LRF fr 500 yds and in

The Oregonian

Looking at RF's and debating the Swarovski 8x30 for $600 (new) and a Leupold RX1000 for $250 (new)...for 500 yds and in, is the Swarovski worth the extra $$ or is the Leupold sufficient for 500 yds and in? I honestly don't think I will take shots over 400, at least until my skills improve considerably, but I generally follow the 'buy once, cry once philosophy. But at over 2x the price, I am not sure the swarovski will be that much better for my usage type.

Any advice from the hive?

Looking at RF's and debating the Swarovski 8x30 for $600 (new) and a Leupold RX1000 for $250 (new)...for 500 yds and in, is the Swarovski worth the extra $$ or is the Leupold sufficient for 500 yds and in? I honestly don't think I will take shots over 400, at least until my skills improve considerably, but I generally follow the 'buy once, cry once philosophy. But at over 2x the price, I am not sure the swarovski will be that much better for my usage type.

Any advice from the hive?

I think you answered your question. of the two, Swaro is the way to go. Before the Leica 1600 models was out, the Swaro was king for LRFs under $1K. Having said that, you might want to check them too.

Good luck!

The Swarovski 8x30 LG is much better optically than anything else under $600. The optics are binocular quality. It has a good phase coating on the roof prism. None of the other rangefinders from Bushnell, Leupold, Nikon, Vortex, etc., have a good phase coating, and the resolution and brightness really suffers in those products. The Swaro LG exhibits some glare when facing a low sun, but otherwise the optics are excellent.

I tested the LG and RX-1000 side-by-side. In addition to the optics issues, the RX-1000 had trouble with some low reflective targets at ~450 yds. The LG has always worked well on animals out to at least 700 yds. Incidentally, I tested two LGs against a $16,000 Leica Total Station surveying instrument and the LGs were accurate to +/-0.5 yd. if you average four readings the LG will give a result to within +/-0.2 yd.

However, Swarovski discontinued the LG because there wasn't a market for a standalone rangefinder with no frills - no inclinometer or ballistic computer. The only option is to display in yds or meters.

That said, I use a Swarovski LG and love it. I'm not a bow hunter so I rarely need an inclinometer. I prefer to use my iPhone for ballistics and it has an inclinometer when I need one.

Vortex: Ranges 500-1000 consistently depending on ambient light conditions. Around $350
Leica 1600-b: Ranges 1200-2000 depending on light. Around $800

These are the only 2 I've used and been happy with. Tried a Leupold a while back and wasn't impressed but I've heard good things about the newer ones. They might be on par with the Vortex for a little less money but I really don't know. Swaro's are good optics but no angle compensation. Bushnell I've used a few and the only one that would range beyond 500 consistently was the Elite 1500, but that's big and bulky for a hunting rangefinder. The scout 600 was a great little unit for under 400 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.