Scope field evaluations on rokslide

I remember seeing a long time ago that Leupold used a drop sled to test that had the equivalent shock of a .50 BMG. I wonder what other major manufacturers do in house to guide their design. I saw a short clip off facebook of Steiner using a device that acted like a linear paint can shaker. Both are linear though and that only mimics recoil versus a side impact. They should probably put them in a clothes dryer with an old pair of socks! Maybe NF does 🤣

I remember seeing a long time ago that Leupold used a drop sled to test that had the equivalent shock of a .50 BMG. I wonder what other major manufacturers do in house to guide their design. I saw a short clip off facebook of Steiner using a device that acted like a linear paint can shaker. Both are linear though and that only mimics recoil versus a side impact. They should probably put them in a clothes dryer with an old pair of socks! Maybe NF does 🤣
Maybe it can "survive" recoil from a 50cal and not snap in half…but it sure as hell ain't holding zero through that

Yep. Testing for survival is a lot different than testing to hold zero. Fortunately I still have a few different hammers in my arsenal so I won't need to use my scopes to hammer nails yet. Kinda makes me want to go drop my big ol chassis rifle with a Steiner on it though….. maybe after it snows 🤣

The paint shaker (air) I use goes side to side. And if you wanted to test for real endurance apply more air. It shakes everything from the work bench once turned on high. lol

I just got back from a NM elk hunt. Stopped at NRA center and confirmed zero. Four days later first two shots went over elks back at 420. Using kentucky windage next 2 put him down. First 2 kept bugging me and went to range Monday and scope was 6 inches high and 2 right. VX5 3-15. Could have been ring slippage.

What are solid rings other than NF?
I've had very good results from the inexpensive SWFA rings. They align well and hold securely. I like the increased clamping surface they have over most. They are an absolute bargain. My favorites are the ARC rings. They hold securely but what I especially like is they don't rotate the scope as you tighten the top screw. I've also used Seekins with great results. No matter what rings I use, I degrease all the fasteners and apply blue loktite to all during installation.

John

Leupold states their shock testing is done 5000 times at a shock level 3x the value of 308 Win recoil, during development of the scope, not in production random testing just to confirm its all still working. If that's their approach, I've had 5 of them go back for warranty and always returned with the explanation they have replaced the erector system.
A Zeiss V4 failed in the parallax adjustment.
A Burris, no comment was given as to what was fixed.
None of these were dropped.
My friends Vortex got out of production with rotated cross hair glass. Brand new.
I'm searching for something else too.
My problem with the engineering and manufacturing is, if the manufacturers are seeing these returns for the same thing, it's not getting fixed.
These didn't break by dropping them. They just failed for no other reason than recoil and dialing, well within Leupolds "torture test". They need more torture in testing and production to weed out bad designs, bad parts getting in production.
To purposely drop the rifle on the scope, I would expect damage to occur or a POI shift but it could come from bases, rings or the scope system. If it didn't shift POI, that's great. But I would have that shadow of doubt right in the middle of a hunt of a lifetime, or any hunt, that I might want to check this out for POI right as that monster elk is in my scope. Squeeze or no squeeze?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231201-152150_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    Screenshot_20231201-152150_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 19
Tangent Theta has the most sophisticated rifle optics testing equipment I've ever seen. Some of it is so specialized they don't show anyone what it is.

When Mr. Throw Your Rifle On The Ground said tangent theta's failed his testing, I had a ton of people asking about it. I just sent them some of the videos Armament has released on how they validate their scopes.

I have so many Tangent Thetas that I'd have to go count them all to know. Old ones, new ones, and everything in between. None have ever given me a lick of problem, on anything. That's saying something, considering the standard I demand is higher than most anyone. Yet TT doesn't have every use case covered. Sometimes you have to go somewhere else. I had to buy a couple leupold 2.5-10 FFP's here just the other day. Needed a super short super light scope with locked/capped turrets to beat around.

Fact is, most people aren't qualified to evaluate a pop tart, and they certainly don't shoot enough to quantify where rifle scopes fit in a hierarchy. Yet the only way you know, is to buy, and use... heavily.

I'll know if these leupolds don't hold up. You can count on that.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate