Scope/bullet Help

I bought a new Browning .300 Win Mag. I plan on using it for a long range deer/coyote rifle. I want it to shoot about 800 yards or so for deer and 1000 yards + on targets. Deer season is in three weeks so I need to figure this out fast...gun):cool:

Here is what I want... A scope >$500 that I can dial in "reliably" and/or a ballistic ret that can get me to 1000 yards. A bullet/load that will kill a deer or coyote at 800 yards.

I'm sure there are a million post like this out there.... Haha
gun)gun)gun)
Thanks for your input.

... A scope >$500 that I can dial in "reliably" and/or a ballistic ret that can get me to 1000 yards....

You may find something like a Nikon Prostaff in that price range (they're on sale all over the world right now) in perhaps a 4.5 - 18 x 40 but you I doubt you'll find a suitable reticle with it in that price range. Nevertheless, with a well developed dope sheet and careful turret adjustment you may be able to make it work. Other than that, I don't think you can get there from here. Good luck ...........

You will need a ballistic reticle with multiple power ranges for example Nikon 6-18x

Buy Exbal software ($80) and it has a reticle tool that allows you to input the distances between different bars or circles at max power and then it computes new data for distances any power you select.

Here is an example for a 3-9 TDS (with 4 lower crosshair bars) reticle and a 300 WSM with 168 TTSX at 3150. Based of 200 yard zero on center crosshair

For the scope,try cameraland. Com.look for the Zeiss closeouts. Conquest 5x20 mildot should do it. As for working up a load an getting dialed in, A lot of work in a short amount of time.
Good luck.
Jim

Were you wanting >$500 or <$500?

For <$500, you might consider the Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 Mil-Dot or BDC @ $325 from a number of places.

With 65 MOA internal travel, you will likely be able to dial for distance. If not, either the BDC or Mil-Dot should give you an predictable offset (although I prefer the BDC since that keeps both my recticle and turrets in MOA.)

It might be worth getting a 20MOA base, if you don't already have one, for those 1000+ shots.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.