coyote bullet

jt77

I have a Savage axis 223 with a 1/9 twist,I'm thinking of using the 60gr.vmax can anyone give me feed back on that bullet good or so so?.

I have the same gun but i dont use that bullet. One thing i found in the Axis series if the freebore length is LONG for some reason. With the 40 grain Nosler ballistic tip or the 55 grain hornady fmj the bullet has to come out of the case completely before the bullet hits the lands.

My Axis shoots the 60 gr.V Max into just sub MOA at 100 yds. And the 55's are a little worse than that.

The big surprise is the 69 gr Sierra. Four shots into 0.6 in !
Puts a smile on my face. :D

My Axis shoots the 60 gr.V Max into just sub MOA at 100 yds. And the 55's are a little worse than that.

The big surprise is the 69 gr Sierra. Four shots into 0.6 in !
Puts a smile on my face. :D

I would think so! I'l try the 60 and 69gr.

Don't leave out the Berger 77 gr offering.

I'm using in a 16." 7 twist with great results. It's a bit slow though and will have to weight to determine its terminal effectiveness on Wiley kyote.:)

Don't leave out the Berger 77 gr offering.

I'm using in a 16." 7 twist with great results. It's a bit slow though and will have to weight to determine its terminal effectiveness on Wiley kyote.:)

I didn't think with a 1/9 twist I could use a 77gr. bullet?.

jt77,
Welcome to LRH forums! :)

A quicker rate of twist will stabilize a heavier bullet ie. give it more spin. A lighter weight bullet might shoot well in your rifle too, but for your application of killing coyotes and obtaining long range accuracy, you'd be better off with a heavier bullet anyway. :cool:

If you're reloading, keep in mind that heavier bullets perform better with slower burning powders and lighter weight bullets perform better with faster buring powders.

Bowhunter57

Hey Jt, I am currently shooting a 60gr. V-max out of my 1-9 twist savage .223 and I am extremely pleased with the results! Very Accurate bullet and after 100 rounds, almost zero copper fouling. IMO I would leave out the 77 gr. bullets and similar bullets that heavy, as a very fast twist barrel is required, such as royinidaho's with a 1-7. If your planning on shooting at longer ranges, I would even consider Hornady's 68gr. BTHP. With a MUCH higher BC than the v-max. However, If your out for coyotes exclusively I might stick with the v-max as they may perform better on dogs at reasonable ranges, but some argue (myself included as I want more of a dual purpose bullet) that the match bullets (such as the 68gr. BTHP) do just as well as the v-max, both make the dogs dead on the spot:)

Thanks alot S tvnbrg for the info I;l try them - As far as distance anywhere from 125 to 50 yards should be good.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.