Scope Advice!

Any reason not to go with a NF Benchrest? Plenty of adjustment to get you out to 1K with a 20min. mount. At $1200.ish it's right in your price point as well. gun).......................................:)

I paid less than that for my used Nightforce NXS on this site.

This +1.
If you have $1500 and don't want to compromise then don't. I've purchased two NXS' off this site for less than that; one with Nightforce rings, HS turret and ZS. If you are spoiled with the NXS you may be disappointed with the SHV line. I used one for the first time a couple days ago and was not impressed, especially since it was being used right next to my NXS's. The glass was decent (not great) but the turrets felt cheap, kinda like an old Nikon 4-14 buckmaster. For a $1000 scope I was not impressed. There was a VX-6 on a .300 I was shooting and, even though I'm not a Leupold fan, I liked it more than the SHV. But then again I like my Weaver Super Slam more than the SHV so it may not be saying much. There was also a Bushnell 6-24 tactical on another .300 and I liked it more than the SHV. I don't know the weights of these optics, if that's a factor.
The MOAR in the SHV was nice however.

This +1.
If you have $1500 and don't want to compromise then don't. I've purchased two NXS' off this site for less than that; one with Nightforce rings, HS turret and ZS. If you are spoiled with the NXS you may be disappointed with the SHV line. I used one for the first time a couple days ago and was not impressed, especially since it was being used right next to my NXS's. The glass was decent (not great) but the turrets felt cheap, kinda like an old Nikon 4-14 buckmaster. For a $1000 scope I was not impressed. There was a VX-6 on a .300 I was shooting and, even though I'm not a Leupold fan, I liked it more than the SHV. But then again I like my Weaver Super Slam more than the SHV so it may not be saying much. There was also a Bushnell 6-24 tactical on another .300 and I liked it more than the SHV. I don't know the weights of these optics, if that's a factor.
The MOAR in the SHV was nice however.

Thanks for the reply! It's not so much that I mind paying more for the NXS, it's just that I keep reading good reviews on the SHV(and a few others) and wondering if it will do everything I need for less money......and it probably will but that's never stopped me from spending extra on equipment/etc in the past.....as my wife always says......I always buy the best whether it be roping horses, LQ horse trailers, boats, fishing tackle, trucks, pistols, rifles, you name it......as I said before, I don't believe in skimping on equipment! I just get a little tight this time of year when I haven't started collecting money for my hunts and leases and not many buying ranches in South Texas with the economy and oil prices! It really doesn't cost that much more to go "First Class" as I tell my hunting clients!

I just had a complete shoulder replacement(4th shoulder surgery), so I won't be doing any shooting(or anything else) for a while......so I'm probably going to just keep an eye out here for a deal on an NXS between now and the time I'm "back in the saddle"! I may buy an SHV for one of my other rifles that have older scopes in need of replacing just to try one out!

After re-reading my post it may sound a little optics snobby to some. I assure you that isn't the case, I make Army Staff Sergeant pay and cannot afford to be a snob.:D I usually have to go on a deployment before my wife allows me to make a larger purchase. One of my favorite scopes is the Weaver Super Slam I mention earlier and they are going for about $250 online. It's simple with little frills. What I can't afford is to spend money unwisely, so I try to do it right the first time. I also see scopes of this magnitude as an investment, maybe a lifetime one at that. All that was meant is that for that amount of money the SHV didn't do it for me. I always recommend guys getting some hands on before purchasing. You may fall in love with the SHV right off the bat.

Good luck in your purchase.

After re-reading my post it may sound a little optics snobby to some. I assure you that isn't the case, I make Army Staff Sergeant pay and cannot afford to be a snob.:D I usually have to go on a deployment before my wife allows me to make a larger purchase. One of my favorite scopes is the Weaver Super Slam I mention earlier and they are going for about $250 online. It's simple with little frills. What I can't afford is to spend money unwisely, so I try to do it right the first time. I also see scopes of this magnitude as an investment, maybe a lifetime one at that. All that was meant is that for that amount of money the SHV didn't do it for me. I always recommend guys getting some hands on before purchasing. You may fall in love with the SHV right off the bat.

Good luck in your purchase.

Never took it any other way but "Good Advice"! Thanks Again!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.