Scope advice

BC 300 why

I am new to the forum and also long range shooting so please take it easy on me guys. All advice is appreciated. So, I've been hunting since a child in south Texas and shooting at ranges out to 250 yards or so comfortable. I recently purchased a 300 weatherby mag and in the market for a scope that will be good shooting a deer at 500 yards. However I would like a scope good for beyond that distance for practicing and increasing my accuracy at long ranges. Been looking at a Nikon 4-16 40mm or 5-20 40mm scope with xr turrets but after searching this forum I am not sure If that is a preferred choice since not many threads talk about nikons. So what is yalls opinion? Is Nikon a good scope for the price. My price range is up to $1000 but would like to keep around $800 if possible. Also is the above magnification sufficient for what I am seeking?

Would like to keep it below $1,000. Also I want to stick with crosshairs rather than mil dot style.

For that money I usually look for a USED Leupold LRT in 6.5-20x 50 or 8.5-25 x 50 . 30mm main tube, target dials in MOA, and great glass!! I would think that $600 -$800 would get the job done, and you still have the leupold lifetime warranty to back your purchase.

Just my .02,
Tod

The 5-20 swfa at 974 is alot of scope at that price. You can also look at the 3-15 swfa's in either ffp or sfp. At 559 You also get rings and a level again very tough to beat. I'm not an L fan had 2 that had canted reticles and not thrilled with all 3 turrets. SHouldn't have lash at that price

Thanks guys! Found a pretty good deal this morning on a used NF NXS 3.5-15x 50mm. Almost too good to pass up. But have a few questions before committing. Has anyone had problems with NF warranting their scopes if they are the second owner? As far as yardage, approximately how far can I reach out with this scope on my 300 wby mag? Thanks

Kirby used a3x15 NF to shoot a varmit in a contest if I remember correctly I think it was 2300yds.
With the 300 wby loaded with a 190 serria I use to shoot sub moa 10 shoot groups at 1k. This was late 80's early 90's. With what is available for barrels bullets powder and information, you can build one to shoot out to a mile. Look at the threads from Broz shooting the 215 berger at 3000ish fps. The wby has more powder room. you would need to configure a reamer t take advantage of the powder room and remove the freebore so seating to/in the lands is possible even if not needed.
Shooting what you currently have will take load development. With a stock chamber you may not be able to shoot some of the most slippery vld style bullets. Try the Amax and serria's to start with. They are less sensitive to jump as a rule. Reloader25/26 and 33 H1000 Retumbo and 4831 I have not used the new enduron powders however 7828 was my powder of choice with heavy bullets back then. Reloader always would shoot screamers but I could not shoot day in day out consistantly. Now with affordable and available chronographs and information it's easy to see why with the temp sensitivity of reloader powders of the day.
Accurate 3100 back then was another powder that worked well but never best in any particular bullet weight.
Best of luck with your choice

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.