Scope Advice!

stx

I haven't posted here in a while but I'm now needing some advice. I've been content shooting what I have but now I'm having a couple of rifles built and will need a scope for one of them. I have a Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56 going on a 26 Nosler being built but I don't want to spend that kind of money on a scope for a 6.5 Creedmoor I'm also having built. I'm thinking SHV 5-20x56 but I'm open to any suggestions under $1500. Plans are to use rifle for long range hunting & target to 1000+ yds! I'm spoiled with my NXS, so, of course, I want something as close as possible to it's quality and repeatability......any suggestions, advice, etc. would be appreciated. I've worn the internet out reading reviews, etc until my brain is fried! Thanks

Im running a SWFA 5-20x50 HD on my 6.5Creedmoor and my 28 Nosler, love them. bullit proof, great glass and track great,FFP. good price for what you are getting. The only thing that might be a deal breaker for you is they only come in Mil/Mil, but I like Mil.Mil.Have shot them well past a 1000yrds and they work great, I got the non illuminated.

Last edited:
Im running a SWFA 5-20x50 HD on my 6.5Creedmoor and my 28 Nosler, love them. built proof, great glass and track great,FFP. good price for what you are getting. The only thing that might be a deal breaker for you is they only come in Mil/Mil, but I like Mil.Mil.Have shot them well past a 1000yrds and they work great, I got the non illuminated.

Thnx for the reply but I'm wanting to stick with MOA since that's what I'm used to!

It is really going to be hard to stay in the ball park with the NXS. A lot of folks here really like the Sightron 111. Check it out.

It is really going to be hard to stay in the ball park with the NXS. A lot of folks here really like the Sightron 111. Check it out.

Yea, I know! Like I said the NXS has spoiled me. I have several Zeiss Conquest and Conquest hd5 scopes that I like(and the price $) for medium range hunting but don't care for the reticles they offer for longer ranges.....that's why the Nightforce SHV in the Conquest price range has me leaning that way......I like the MOAR Reticle.......but want to check here before making a decision. I'll check out the Sightron 111. Thanks!

I have the shv nightforce scope. I like the scope quite well. While it probably isn't quite as nice as the nxs (turrets aren't as crisp) I actually like it for hunting better than the nxs. Main reason is the covered turret. Lots don't like this but packing it on a horse it gives me a little piece of mind knowing the turrets are protected. One scope a lot of people seem to like, especially for hunting, is the leupold vx6. I would like to try one, but haven't as of yet. I do have a few of the sightron scopes, but they are the si and sii models. They have pretty fair glass and seem to hold zero quite well. I don't dial these scopes, but from everything I've read the siii sounds as if it would be a very nice scope that could be dialed with no problems. Good luck and have fun

I paid less than that for my used Nightforce NXS on this site. Even with a 20 moa EGW HD base, Seekins rings and Holland level and scope I was under $1500. Everything I bought new except the scope and it was is mint shape. NP-R1. No zero stop but everything else is great. I really am getting to like the NP-R1 reticle.

I am like you. I have NXS, Conquest, and Leupold 111. I am wanting to try the Sightron 111 because it looks stout, has a 30mm tube,moa reticle, weighs 22 ounces, has a lot of positive reviews, and it is priced under 1K. I hope it will fit between the NXS and the Conquest. Be sure to give us a review if you buy one. Thanks.

Appreciate all the suggestions/advice! My search continues although I'm still leaning towards the SHV or a used NXS......I don't like to skimp on price when it comes to my hunting equipment but would just like to spend less than full price NXS if possible for a quality scope! Like I've said, the NXS has spoiled me!

I have got even a better idea. Here is the plan. Sell a ranch to the new customer I just sent you. Buy a NXS #434 with the commission. Get it mounted. Then we all go on that predator hunt.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.