Scope advice

jimsbriar

hey all,

I will be putting a new scope on my Sako finnlight 300 wsm....problem is technology is advancing faster than I can keep up, so I need some expert advice from those of you that are keeping up with technology...and thanks in advance for your advice!

I feel my maximum range is 500 yds, this is my comfort range for hunting here in idaho where the terrain varies from dark thick timber to open clear cuts. I want a scope that offers me unmatched clarity, light transmission and reliability. I also feel that the scope I am looking for Needs to offer me a magnification range of 3x16 or 3x18,...give or take a few. My last consideration is weight which leads me to probably a 1 inch tube vs. 30 mm.

I am not worried about cost.

What would you folks recommend?

It's been my experience over a lifetime of shooting that when it comes time to purchase optics most skimp and never learn how accurate the rifle or the shooter is. I can't tell you in good faith a cheap or even moderately price scope that tracks straight, returns to zero or holds up to recoil or even riding in a UTV or 4 wheeler. I've only owned 3 scopes over the years that held their zero. Unbelievably one was a Tasco on a light recoiling 22-250. Another was a Leupold that held zero but didn't track or return to zero after making adjustments. The only scope I ever owned that tracks exactly, returns to zero, holds its zero is a $2000+ Nightforce NSX. I will never buy a cheap scope again.

March or Leupold. I went with the VX5HD, the VX6HD is the mag range you are looking for and lightweight for what you get. Love my VX5HD...

Leupold or Ziess in one of the V series. I have both brands in "6" and like them both. I don't think you can go wrong with anyone of these. Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.