SCHOOLS- no longer soft targets

You are exactly right. There is no shame heaped upon the person who commits the crime. That goes for the suicide. Killing yourself or taking on a soft target such as a school are very cowardly things to do. The over the top grief counseling I agree is creating a warm feeling to the person who is considering ending their life. In this counseling it should be pointed out how selfish and disgusting the act itself is. That it is a terrible thing to do to the people around you. AND it was not the tool used that caused the problem, it was the jerk that did it.

Steve

Just got this in an email and gotta share it.

Subject: An Obituary printed in the London Times.....Absolutely Brilliant !!!

Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense, who has been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was, since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape. He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as:
- Knowing when to come in out of the rain;
- Why the early bird gets the worm;
- Life isn't always fair;
- and maybe it was my fault.

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than you can earn) and reliable strategies (adults, not children, are in charge).

His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well-intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place. Reports of a 6-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate; teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch; and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition.

Common Sense
lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the job that they themselves had failed to do in disciplining their unruly children.

It declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer sun lotion or an aspirin to a student; but could not inform parents when a student became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion.

Common Sense
lost the will to live as the churches became businesses; and criminals received better treatment than their victims.

Common Sense
took a beating when you couldn't defend yourself from a burglar in your own home and the burglar could sue you for assault.

Common Sense
finally gave up the will to live, after a woman failed to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her lap, and was promptly awarded a huge settlement.

Common Sense
was preceded in death, by his parents, Truth and Trust, by his wife, Discretion, by his daughter, Responsibility, and by his son, Reason.

He is survived by his 4 stepbrothers;
I Know My Rights
I Want It Now
Someone Else Is To Blame
I'm A Victim

Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was gone. If you still remember him, pass this on. If not, join the majority and do nothing.

Steve

Some of those kids in the town hall are the same kids that were silent about the bullying and even the bullies of the shooter.
Bullying has always been a problem, but with the advent of social media and internet, bullies are able to reach their victims 24/7 for torment.
I think the current rules that are in place shelter the bully. If you retaliate you are in as much or more trouble than the bully. Bullies are always going to be there at all ages. A good old fashioned snott bubbler usually slows the bully down nicely.

Steve

Yep...common sense took early retirement....
Bullies didn't last long in our high school....someone usually put that rise down really fast....and it is amazing that once a bully gets the crap kicked out of him or her that they want to be friends....
I wasn't a big guy as a freshman....only weighed 107#... But two sophomores learned there is a different way to play basketball...and they thanked me for getting their braces off their teeth sooner than expected....
But now they bring guns in to the equation.....

I havent verified these numbers, the only one I quickly checked is the wartime casualties and they seem to be right on track. This is something I received in an email, but if the numbers are true, why is there a discussion about this (not there ever should be one)

"Gun violence in America virtually doesn't exist outside of the media.

312 million people in the US
357 million guns in the US

Approx. 32,000 deaths a year in the US from firearms

60% are suicides. 19,200.
3% are accidental. 960.
4% are justified. 1,280.
33% are homicides. 10,560.
80% of those homicides are gang related. 8,448.

That's 1,712 people in a society of 312 million people.

That leaves a .010256410256% chance of death by a gun.
A .0008564% if you don't hang out in the hood, not planning a crime, and not planning on committing suicide.

The United States does not have a gun problem."

I have seen the same thing happen with suicide in my Town...Our Suicide Rate is well above the National average for teenagers... It all started to go up at an accelerated rate when Schools started making a big deal out of it... Bringing in Grief Councilors making week long events so kids could get all their feelings heard... Kids saw the Cheerleaders crying in the Hall when the least popular kid commuted suicide when if he had even walked within 10 feet of her she turned up her nose at him before that... Suicide prevention ads are on TV almost everyday... The TV news reports on all the grief and ribbons and signs and crying kids... I firmly believe all this stuff is encouraging kids to do it... I'll show you and make everyone sad... get the attention... When I was in school I can only remember I think of 3 people who took their own life... It was not talked about , manner of death wasn't in the News Paper.. it was swept under the Carpet..There are many overlap as to why school aged shootings and suicide happens.
The media does help put Ideas in some peoples heads and so do the video games that our children are allowed to play!

Yep...common sense took early retirement....
Bullies didn't last long in our high school....someone usually put that rise down really fast....and it is amazing that once a bully gets the crap kicked out of him or her that they want to be friends....
I wasn't a big guy as a freshman....only weighed 107#... But two sophomores learned there is a different way to play basketball...and they thanked me for getting their braces off their teeth sooner than expected....
But now they bring guns in to the equation.....
Them things really cut the knuckles up and they are as infectious as trout teeth.

Confiscate our guns. That is their solution. They have tunnel vision. I think they do not want to believe there can be any fault except for the gun. DCAN and Buck without doubt you are both on the right track. Our kids now grow up learning from the phone, I pad, computer, and TV. Maybe we ought to confiscate those? I can remember owning a gun and bow at age 12. I spent any spare time(when not working) fishing or hunting. I don't have an answer as to how we can turn back the clock or change these things. One thing I can do is to try to take more young people hunting and fishing.

Confiscate our guns. That is their solution. They have tunnel vision. I think they do not want to believe there can be any fault except for the gun. DCAN and Buck without doubt you are both on the right track. Our kids now grow up learning from the phone, I pad, computer, and TV. Maybe we ought to confiscate those? I can remember owning a gun and bow at age 12. I spent any spare time(when not working) fishing or hunting. I don't have an answer as to how we can turn back the clock or change these things. One thing I can do is to try to take more young people hunting and fishing.

There is a bumper sticker around tgst says, IF GUNS ARE OUTLAWED, ONLY OUTLAWS WILL HAVE GUNS.
It's not new, but apparently, some people didn't get the memo, or the message.
That sticker applies now, when it was written, and the next time.

Riflehunter1776

That is indeed and interesting find. What I would be interested to see is a timeline of events. When the first calls were made to the FBI were made etc. This incident is looking very suspect. Do you remember how things were under Comrade Barry's reign?
I remember hearing of people just mentioning "gun" on social media and they were visited by state police or SWAT teams. So I find it odd that the FB-Lie (not my own term, borrowed from another forum) gets multiple warnings about this guy and does nothing. With the article that you posted, I am starting to see a pattern with this incident.

What do you guys think?

On another forum a well known person is suggesting that only people with CONCEALED CARRY PERMITS should be allowed to have ARs....
I didn't agree "wholeheartedly" and I let him know...
Having had a CC permit in Oregon for about 15 years I was contacted by a sheriff...a group from California was petitioning a law to make all CC permitees have to comply with the law to expose how many guns they have in possession..and their names printed in newspapers....I sent a letter of thx back to he sheriff..along with my CC permit and told him to burn it and any documents pertaining to me...
Anyone that can support a devisive group like this and try to say only CC permited persons should have legal rights to an AR can go straight to hell....AND I DONT OWN AN AR...but I support any legal American that can possess and own a gun....
There are ways that school could have been built for entry security....why wasn't there an entry screen area viewable thru bullet proof glass..locking doors like jails have..security watching as kids walk in.....kids watching kids like hallway monitors...they know whom to watch....
17 didn't have to die...but now a mental health person gets to fry......

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.