Schmitt & Bender feedback

Lucky thing your not looking at the S&B optics up here above the 49th parallel,,, your jaw would drop if you seen the price tag on them up here. Ha.

Vortex covers my bases,,, along with Nikon and Sightron,,, all 3 of those brands offer mid price to high end,,, my budget only allows for so much... The cost of my rifle = the amount of my glass...

The main thing I look for is clear glass to allow for good vision at dusk,,, solid dial up,,, and FFP reticle mileage bars so I don't need to dial in on critters... That's where the sight lines come in handy. LOL.

Yuppers,,, the funds I save goes towards gas and time off to go hunting,,, my job is to know the drop and wind drift to get the boolit to the vitals or V ring...

Don't get me started on the best shooting rest to get the shot off,,, the system I have is half the price of my rig all dialed in...

Carbon fiber legs come at a cost you know.

Good thread, thanks to all for the feedback. I value all of your opinions. I think I will gauge what scope I put on my upcoming rifle as to how well I can get it to shoot & how long I think I will hang on to the rifle. I'm keeping an open mind for now. Good feedback from all of you. I have a better idea about the next tier up from high end Japanese glass to euro optics.

I've owned a lot of scopes over the years and over time things change. I used to love Leopold's but even the most ardent fan has to admit they lost the plot around the time of the VX111. Zeiss went the same way with the duralyt. I've noticed recently that the cheaper end of the Vortex range appears to have lost some optical quality although I still love the Razor. IOR produced superb value for money scopes but a few of their latest offerings are not up to scratch. Most of my rifles now mount S&B PM11's superb optics, tracking and reliability, the overall package is unbeatable and over the many years I have used S&B there has never been a change in quality

The new Razors are boat anchors. SB is indestructible, too.

I understand & believe the statement "buy once cry once" but on the same token I've been pleasantly surprised with economy items at times. I don't think anyone would be disappointed with an S&B from what ive heard here.

I've owned Zeiss, Leupold, sighton, Three Nikon FX1000, etc. Is there and advantage with a S&B over a high end Japan Light Optical Works made scope. Comparing to something like a Japanese L.O.W. ( razor, Cronus , or L.O.W. Bushnell etc...)

I've a safe full of Zeiss scopes. Fairly awesome and I get them wholesale. I wish they were 30 mm tubes.

Ever look thru a US Optics scope? Guy had one on an AR10. Picked it up and looked thru the scope, immediately dismounted the weapon to take a look at the scope. The guy laughed and said, "Everybody does that...."

https://www.usoptics.com/

I've owned or spent considerable time shooting with a lot of the top end scopes from all the major players. The S&B PMII is a great scope, but I'd never buy another one at full price. Same goes for US Optics, Tangent Theta, Kahles and Hensoldt. There's nothing wrong with the optics on any of those, I just don't think that they represent a good value when compared to some of the other great optics that are out there right now.

If you have the money to spend on a S&B or similarly priced scope then you can buy one and you won't be disappointed. I've decided to stop spending that much money on scopes just because they don't benefit me for my style of shooting. I can sit down and glass a hill side through my Swaro spotter until I find a critter (or rock) that needs killing. Then I can reach over and grab any of my guns with optics ranging from old VX-3s up through a couple of NF ATACRs and still easily make a good solid shot despite the glass in my scope being inferior to my spotter. I don't need to be able to pick out extreme detail with my scope, that's what the spotter is for! Deer and elk are big critters and make easy targets even beyond 1000 yards. You don't need to be able to see that much detail to hold on the vitals at any range. Any of the scopes in the $1000+ range are optically and mechanically capable of making good solid hits well beyond 1000 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.