Savage, Triggers, HELP

etisll40

I'm not a big fan of the Accutrigger yet, although it is well thought out for safety. It's because of the unconventional feel.

Question:

What is a quality Savage trigger to replace it with. I have a non accustock 116 bgh in 30-06 2007 model.

My gunsmith said the SSS trigger is not good as the parts are cheap and the design not good. Also, poor instructions to install.

His experience, he couldn't get the pull weight above 1.75 lbs making it more of a benchrest trigger and thought that is too light for hunting? Why?

He loves jewel, Geiselle, Gentry as they are real quality.

What can I do, I want a quality trigger that is reliable and tough like Jewel and such.

Gunsmiths, hunters, professional or others please chime in. I do like the way my Savage shoots, but this will be the limiting factor in whether I ever by another Savage.

Thanks

I have non-accutrigger model 111 that wears a Timney trigger and I love it. I don't know if Timney offers a trigger to replace the Accu-trigger but if they do, you could do a lot worse.

I have and use the Sharp Shooter triggers.I like their trigger and think it is one of the best if not the best for Savage rifles.Haven't had any problems with adjustments but I like fairly light triggers.
I also have one with the Basix Sav 1 which I don't really like.Can't say anything about the Basix Sav 2 since I never tried one but the Sharp Shooter cost less and it give me a very nice trigger pull.

The Timney and Basix Sav-1 are basically just well made versions of the factory design.

The Sav-2 and SSS, are much better than the factory designs. I like the function and pull of the SSS, but the Sav-2 is more simple and has a better overall feel to it.

It's hard to describe, they are both really good.

my only down fall to the sss trigger is that i cant get one, i called 15 times in 2 weeks and couldnt get anybody to answer the phone or it was busy,so i might get one from midway, at least there open 24/7.kinda sucks because i wanted bolt and recoill lug also.

my only down fall to the sss trigger is that i cant get one, i called 15 times in 2 weeks and couldnt get anybody to answer the phone or it was busy,so i might get one from midway, at least there open 24/7.kinda sucks because i wanted bolt and recoill lug also.

Brownells has them in stock.

I'm beginning to think my gunsmith is a little jeaulous of fred at SSS, he makes lots of Savage parts and his trigger seems to be liked alot, especially by people that like (lighter) trigger pulls. My gunsmith set mine at 1.75 lbs but claimed he couldn't set it a smidge higher, making it unsafe to hunt with. I traditionally have hunting firearms at 2.5 lbs or up to 3.5lbs. It seems like that's why he didn't like it for hunting. He said "don't hunt" with it, only shoot it at the bench, it's too light to be safe in the field! He also said one of the edges was rough and it's cheap flimsy metal? So he had to polish it a little. It took him 4 hours to install but he only charged me for 2!!!?

I guess I am a little taken back by his words, not being a master gunsmith myself. He told me he would look into other triggers and to bring it back 3 months before hunting season to replace, and he wants to replace the hosing it attaches it too along with a new trigger too. I wonder if he really knows anything about Savages?

Any experience with this kind of stuff.

As long as it is safe, I like the lighter pull.

Thanks for listening.

Ed

I have an SSS trigger on all my Savage rifles. There are worlds of thoughts about what a "hunting" rifle trigger should be set at. For me, I will leave that up to the individual.

The type of hunting you do will determine alot of that for you. Spot and stalk, a heavier trigger might be safer. Ambush or "long range" hunting a light trigger would seem to work very well.

We can go round and round on what is light and what is long distance. But, if you don't chamber a round until you are ready to take your shot, I see no reason to have a heavier than need trigger.

I'm beginning to think my gunsmith is a little jeaulous of fred at SSS, he makes lots of Savage parts and his trigger seems to be liked alot, especially by people that like (lighter) trigger pulls. My gunsmith set mine at 1.75 lbs but claimed he couldn't set it a smidge higher, making it unsafe to hunt with. I traditionally have hunting firearms at 2.5 lbs or up to 3.5lbs. It seems like that's why he didn't like it for hunting. He said "don't hunt" with it, only shoot it at the bench, it's too light to be safe in the field! He also said one of the edges was rough and it's cheap flimsy metal? So he had to polish it a little. It took him 4 hours to install but he only charged me for 2!!!?

I guess I am a little taken back by his words, not being a master gunsmith myself. He told me he would look into other triggers and to bring it back 3 months before hunting season to replace, and he wants to replace the hosing it attaches it too along with a new trigger too. I wonder if he really knows anything about Savages?

Any experience with this kind of stuff.

As long as it is safe, I like the lighter pull.

Thanks for listening.

Ed

I think what he is saying is kind of a joke. And the fact that he charged you 2 hrs and it took him 4 is also. I have instaled 5 of the sss triggers and they take about 20 min ea. I am not a big fan of Fred personaly (his wife is nice though) but to say the trigger is junk or that it took 4 hrs to install just makes you gunsmith sound foolish. I have had sav-2 and a few of the sss triggers and much prefer the sss.

I currently have the Rifle Basix SAV-1 on a 112BVSS in .300WinMag and it is 100% better than the stock trigger. It breaks consistently, like the proverbial glass rod, at just under 2lbs, with no creep. I consistently shoot sub 1/2 MOA out to 500yds with this rifle and yes I do hunt with it also. For $85 you can't beat it.
I've installed and used the Timney on a couple of Savages that I had in the past. While they were also better than the heavy, spongey factory triggers, I think I like Rifle Basix best. Have not tried the SSS.
I did replace a Remington 700P factory with a Shilen once. It was a definate improvement but it took some getting used to that narrow trigger. My youngest son has it now and loves it. JohnnyK.

Thanks all for chiming in.

Right now I do like the feel of the SSS trigger, my only issue is that I don't get a slam firm. I tend to be careful and this gun is predominantly to be used from a stand or ambush spot so I'm comfortable with the pull. I still have the accutrigger and I do believe it's incredibly safe but odd. I've since learned I may have been able to adjust it such that it wouldn't lock the trigger if I slammed the bolt shut. That is the second reason I wanted another trigger. Will it be durable? Time will tell I guess.

As far as my smith goes, sometimes I really wonder as he is so negative on every one and everything, other smiths, triggers, he's a barrel know it all (likes only one brand) etc. Of course not his opinions. Me being a novice and just liking to shoot and hunt is frustrating. I think I will do a little gunsmith learning as I want to be able to do the basics, triggers, bedding etc.

Thanks Again.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.