Savage rebuild help!!!!

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by Oakpatch, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Oakpatch

Oakpatch Member

Gentlemen
    I am trying to rebarrel my savage accutrigger m10 in .223 to .300wsm. I know I need a new bolt head to get it right. I would like to use a shilen drop in savage barrel. I'm having trouble finding a bolt head that is not control feed. Has anyone out there done this before. I've contacted a few savage custom folks and don't feel like I am getting the process 100 percent. I've gotten the following.
    The 300wsm should be built on a large shank action
    The bolt face will need to be a mag face

Anyone with advice please enlighten me! I feel like I have a pretty good grasp of the mechanics behind the built once I get everything cleared up
    Chris

2. lightflight

lightflight Well-Known Member

I have researched as I was looking to do this with a stevens 200 223 to a 300 or 270wsm.

There have been many wsm builds on the standard small shank without issue. I wouldn't sweat this. The haters will hate though.

Bolt head: For a push feed bolt head what you can do is take a long action magnum push feed bolt head and shorten the back end of it to the length of a short action bolt head. See image I borrowed from savageshooters. The one on the right has been shortened. middle is long action unmodified. left is short action.

[​IMG]

3. Oakpatch

Oakpatch Member

Thanks lightflight
    Any recommendations on gunsmiths to do the bolt head shortening job? Sharpshooter supply???

4. lightflight

lightflight Well-Known Member

Yeah I think they can get you a modified bolt head for the job. Just remember to also check firing pin protrusion and head space. when you put it all back together. You may want to ask if a different firing pin is needed. I can't remember.

5. Knife

Knife Member

Last summer I had a similar project in mind, converting a Savage 10FP (standard 1.05" action, non accutrigger) .308 to a .300 WSM. So I rebuilt the bolt, milled down a long action bolt face as described above and replaced the firing pin (magnums are smaller).
    Then when I was looking for a barrel, I contacted Sharpshooter and was told that they did not recommend putting a WSM barrel on the standard action due to extraction problems. He stated that it was not a safety issue. I have not been able to find any examples of this problem or fix/work around for it.
    Has anyone experienced this or have any more details about it? I'm still considering building the gun, but I don't disregard an expert's advice lightly. And I could still build a non-magnum.

6. sinarms

sinarms Well-Known Member

I have built many wsm rifles on stand shank short actions. You do need to shorten a bolt head if you want to use a long action bolt. PT&G also makes new correct bolts for it. They will function fine also, the only reason why you would want to go long action is for a longer COAL.

7. Knife

Knife Member

Thanks! I'll continue with the build.

8. den

den Well-Known Member

I wonder why savage didn't use controlled round feed on their 338 lapuas I think they have some extraction issues