savage build help

More considerations: Is the receiver machined full length and the box mag plugged or is the receiver machined short and the box mag unplugged? Some were made this way.

These days I just start with a new 12FV from CabPro Shops, with the top bolt release and Accu Trigger.
that is why I asked for pictures in the beginning Savage did to many different setups over the years.
this should be a long action 5.062 bolt spacing with only enough of the action milled out for the short internal box and extended bolt baffle
they come in standard shank but I have a 112 that is large shank.
even know this is set up short action it will need a long action bolt head and switch to the small firing pin and cross bolt.
pictures will be extremely helpful

no plug in the mag box, i remember that there is quite a bit of room in front of the loaded rounds but cant remember how much

ill get pics and measurements up later-- can't bring guns to work:confused:

OK, got the info and can post pics tomorrow if needed

action screws are 5.062" apart= long action/ LA stock
staggered mag box measured from the inside is 2.904" so that would be a short action relief cut on the receiver and short action blind mag box
nut length is .875" or std shank/ small nut

also found out that all 1988-1997 actions were long actions but cut for different length boxes

SOOOOO-- this would mean that I could build a wsm on it, but it is not ideal as I couldn't seat bullets long 2.860" is saami, but really couldn't seat bullets out much further (maybe 3 thou)-- is it feasible/possible to have the action cut for a new long action mag box/follower/spring by a smith? anyone had this done? if so, any idea on the cost?

may be better to just keep it in the true short action length family :( and use a different action to build my wsm -- my win model 70 short action allows about 3.02"

thanks for all the help and info, I learn more here every day

if you have any more guidance or info please send it my way as I'm always eager to learn

cohunt, I would measure the internal box mag. I don't think you have an issue with mag length but savage did some weird stuff over the years.

As for heads, all you need is a magnum bolt head and swap the ejector and extractor. I think they are 25.00 on midway.

There are large firing pins and small. All the new stuff is small and I think yours is too. A new firing pin assembly from midway is cheap.

In some cases the internal box mag is just a steel insert and may have a restrictor plate or the bolt had a restricted length of throw follower. That can be swapped out, so can the mag usually. Worst case, switch stocks, and you're good to go.

I have built a ton of savages and would not hesitate to work with your action. Savage is pretty versatile. I true my actions, polish the fire pin sliding surface, install a bolt lift kit and modify the button catch, cut the spring, and true the bolt face. I will lap bolt lugs to the new squared face sometimes as well. In the end my modified savage actions are pretty dang nice.

cohunt, I would measure the internal box mag. I don't think you have an issue with mag length but savage did some weird stuff over the years.

As for heads, all you need is a magnum bolt head and swap the ejector and extractor. I think they are 25.00 on midway.

There are large firing pins and small. All the new stuff is small and I think yours is too. A new firing pin assembly from midway is cheap.

In some cases the internal box mag is just a steel insert and may have a restrictor plate or the bolt had a restricted length of throw follower. That can be swapped out, so can the mag usually. Worst case, switch stocks, and you're good to go.

I have built a ton of savages and would not hesitate to work with your action. Savage is pretty versatile. I true my actions, polish the fire pin sliding surface, install a bolt lift kit and modify the button catch, cut the spring, and true the bolt face. I will lap bolt lugs to the new squared face sometimes as well. In the end my modified savage actions are pretty dang nice.
I did measure the inside of the mag-- its 2.904" as stated above-- there are no "block plates" or "bolt stops" on this rifle, the bolt goes all the way back, and the steel internal mag box is not blocked--it sets right up into the "short action" slot milled into the receiver

ducky, I will check out that site and thread, thanks -- what i'm trying to accomplish is a short barrel with a heavy bullet so I'm going to have to load long so this receiver may not be ideal for my build unless I had machining done to it to open it up to the longer mag box length (if possible) --the cost my end up being prohibitive and I might be better off with a different donor rifle action

here is a pic of the action out o f the stock
20191107_201406.jpg

Last edited:
if your set on the wsm case and heavy for caliber bullets like the 215 berger you really need a long action. your oal will be over 3.1 inches
another option is the Sherman shorts. I believe Rich has a reamer set up for what you want in his 300ss

if your set on the wsm case and heavy for caliber bullets like the 215 berger you really need a long action. your oal will be over 3.1 inches
another option is the Sherman shorts. I believe Rich has a reamer set up for what you want in his 300ss
yup, thats what my thought was also-- was thinking this was a true long action rifle-- didnt realize that the action, bolt and stock are long action, but the receiver is only machined for the short action mag box

i knew the 215 would require around 3.1 what i didnt realize was that i was limited to 2.9 with this mag box (I had never measured before)--the ss and max are intriguing but I'm not really a wildcat fan

cohunt, I see. That is an easy fix. Machine out the action and switch to a dbm in a accustock or pillar bed or bell & Carlson, etc.

I've modified several internal stagger feed long action actions to work with the center feed dbm. I have small table top drill/mill that makes easy easy work but a steady hand and Dremel will do the job too. I can mill action like that in 20 minutes with a carbide mill end. Those old savage actions are nice.

Also, I run the rifle basix sav2 triggers a lot. Excellent trigger for a savage replacement.

what a frankenweird action you have sir lol. I have built 12 savages and none I have seen have your configuration. I am intrigued by your build now. A long action, stagger feed cut for a short action mag. Smh and I am confused. Sounds like @BrentM knows what you have and how to deal with it. I have one old Savage and the rest are fairly new. Good luck with it man hope it shoots like most savages do, freakin amazing!

what a frankenweird action you have sir lol. I have built 12 savages and none I have seen have your configuration. I am intrigued by your build now. A long action, stagger feed cut for a short action mag. Smh and I am confused. Sounds like @BrentM knows what you have and how to deal with it. I have one old Savage and the rest are fairly new. Good luck with it man hope it shoots like most savages do, freakin amazing!
I never find the easy ones -- hey maybe its a rare collectible and its worth a ba-gillion bucks? --NOPE not my luck either, unless you want to buy a very special savage :D

ducky, I will check out that site and thread, thanks ----the cost my end up being prohibitive and I might be better off with a different donor rifle action

Almost anything is possible if you throw enough money at it. You'll be a lot of money ahead to find a different action. Used Savage magnum rifles can be found pretty cheap.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.