Savage Target Accutrigger

You probably already know this, but for others on this forum not familiar with Savage Accutriggers, it is not technically a slam fire. There is no way for the firing pin to release even when slammed. When the trigger springs are adjusted really low, it can cause tripping the sear via slam/jolt, but it is caught by the accutrigger blade. Yes it is inconvenient since it requires a trigger reset in order to go bang, but it will most definitely not slam fire.
That is exactly the condition I called decocking. It did it several times target shooting and I overlooked it. Then one morning with a nice buck standing in front of me it did it again, I know any of you that hunt know how hard it is to lift your bolt up and recock the trigger while a buck is looking straight at you. I got the deer as he ran towards heavy cover but the trigger came out that afternoon. Sold all accutriggers and problem was solved,I have one target savage in a benchrest stock with vertical pistol grip. Never changed that one and its never decocked even set at 26oz.

After several episodes with my bolt closing tripping it to safe, I contacted Savage about the problem. They suggest I was closing the bolt too hard - as outlined in the manual I got with the rifle. I just learned I need to close my bolt slowly and not "slam it. I also raised my trigger pull slightly just because I did have it too sensitive. Finally, also paid a lot more attention to my reloading process, and I started using a Lyman Ammo checker when finished and if it fi, it loaded and fired. Closing the bolt felt easier, it seated easily and no more trigger lock up.

On my 116 I could never get the trigger below 3 lbs and was considering replacing it. However, after talking to Northland Shooter supply he sent me a spring which I set to 1.5. My trigger seems to be great. I tried slamming the bolt to try to get it to fail but haven't had any issues but I haven't tried to go any lower as well. I like the trigger but I'd replace it for sure if it was failing at the weight I wanted.
I have a Sav12V, .223, with the red blade. Occasionally it trips the sear, and it has to be recocked. Not often enough to contemplate replacement, but the rifle is one of my prairie dog battery and an occasional "click" on the trigger pull is of no consequence. Different story indeed if occurs during a hunt or in a match. I have a Rifle Basic on one Sav10, great trigger. Timney on another Savage, another great trigger.

Following.
I would suggest first flushing the trigger out with lighter fluid or maybe electro parts cleaner several times before going further. This and replacing the target spring with a new one will occasionally make an improvement.
I used the Sharpshooter replacement trigger for older non-accutrigger Savages for years. No longer available.
Looking at options and reading others replacement experiences with interest. I have a couple of bargain project older actions waiting in the safe.

Thanks for all the responses guys. This is not directed towards anyone that responded so don't take it personally: call it what you want (slam fire, de-cocking, whatever) it is still a failure on the trigger (whether the "blade" catches it or not, at least to me) if the trigger/sear disengage dropping the bolt, no matter how hard I close it. This will not only be an ELR target rifle, but for hunting as well...maybe just not load until in position.
Again, thanks for the responses.

I used sharpshooter triggers before I tried the first rifle basix. Also have a timney on another savage, its fine but neither of them are the same as the rifle basix 2. I don't doubt a lot of shooters like the accutrigger, if it hadn't happened when I was hunting, I would have overlooked it, but a nice buck is a whole nuther ballgame :) dog bite you once.........let it bite you twice..........

Was wondering how this turned out?
My experience has been you needed to replace the spring. Target springs are borderline too light. If the spring loses some tension resistance over time it will start to have malfunctions. I would buy both the replacement target and varmint springs to try.
I loved my Savages but am moving to Bighorn Origin due to all the manufacturing "upgrades" and changes that interfered with Savage parts compatibility. Savage had a Harley Davidson type parts customization ability going on and completely screwed it up IMHO. Try buying replacement firing pins for an older model.
I miss the old Sharpshooter trigger and wish someone would tool up to make them again.
Curious to hear your outcome Bravo4.