Anyone else have problems with savage accutrigger?

I have an older savage with an accu-trigger. Over 5000 firings. I can never remember when it has had a miss fire or a trigger problem. To this day I tend to like it better then the Remington X-mark pro factory triggers in my Sendero's. Hope the newer savages are not falling short on quality.

The saga continues - Finally sent the rile back to Savage. When I got it back, it had a new trigger goup. THEN the safety would not engage, so back to Savage. Hope all is finally good. Have to mount the scope and re-zer o it.

Last edited:
My Model 12 in 338 Lapua has the sweetest trigger I have ever used. I pull back (with the pad on the tip of my trigger finger) till I just feel the "real" trigger and then pull from there when my breathing and heart pulse are right. I am totally unable to predict when it falls. That is the way it should be on a target rifle. If you can predict when it will fall, you are pulling too hard and will skew the rifle. (and the shot) I dont hunt but I suppose you try harder to know when it falls because of time restraints. My target never runs,

Last edited:
If you pull/squeeze it so slightly then let off it goes into safety mode and will need too recock the bolt. This the reason I don't care for the accu-trigger.

Nope, I only have about seven of them and been around about 150 of them. Not one issue have I seen. My last two are on 10T-SR's and are not the target triggers. Both dialed down to 1lb exactly crisp tight and very nice. Most stop about 2 to 2.5lb on the low side.

I've owned and shot a few with accutriggers and all performed fine except for 1, my Savage LWH hunting rifle in 260Rem that the trigger failed me a few times while hunting. 1st was a big 4 point Mulie, squeezed the trigger and click. Didn't know what happened and he disappeared into the bush before I could recock.

Next day set up on a buck, squeezed it off and click! WTH, recocked, squeezed and click. He turned and was almost out of view. This time I yanked the hell out of the trigger and it went off. He was stumbling around so I went to put 1 more in him and click again! He fell dead after getting just out of view a few seconds later.

That was a horrible experience I never wanted to happen again. Savage sent me another trigger but I wasn't going to ever take that chance again. I pulled the Accutrigger blade portion out of the trigger and readjusted it. The trigger is great now and very crisp. No more Accutrigger for me and am happy with the trigger now.

@ARlife4me Why would you let off on it after starting the final stage of the trigger pull?
When I was having trouble and the bolt locked up, slighly depressing and then letting off the blade meant it was functioning correctly. If it did not move, then it was locked and I had to recycle the bolt. Not a totally safe practise, but I never had an inadvertent firing.

Last edited:
When I was having trouble and the bolt locked up, slighly depressing and then letting off the blade meant it was functioning correctly. If it did not move. then it was locked and I had to recycle the bolt. Not a totally safe practise, but I never had an inadvertent firing.
It never had the inadvertent firing when just only pressing the blade. By just pressing the blade then letting back off it would require lifting the bolt handle then closing/pulling down to reset. That is what took me awhile too figure out what was going on.

how light is your trigger? I have only used the target action and I love the trigger on it! Another thing I noticed is people who tend to 'pull' the trigger to one side or the other struggle with the accu-trigger.
Same thing I have seen , crooked trigger finger pull will cause a problem, only time my triggers have failed was from this type of shooter. Make em pull it straight back and it's fine !

Recent Posts