Savage patterning like a shotgun

I cleaned the rifle thoroughly, and torqued the bolts according to spec. Did a ladder test from 87 to 93gr with retumbo today. Best group was still only 1.1" at 100 yards.

Can excessive jump with the hybrid bergers be the cause? I use this rifle for hunting so do not want to go over mag length, consequently they are jumping .138". If I stretch them out just shy of the mag lips, I can reduce it to .105" however that still seems rather excessive. My 250 SMK's I am loading at 3.68 only jump .020"

Seat a few longer for singles and find out. No other real answer. Yes it could very possibly be a huge difference.

Loaded a few different variations up today and took it back out. Brought along one of my 308's to practice with. Found I could not center the windage to POI and eventually the crosshairs stopped moving left or right. Verticle worked until I got it home. Once it warmed back up to room temp they started working again. I will freeze it again and try to duplicate it. Shame on me for going cheap, I will look for a USO or NXS next time I am in town.

Not too happy, wasted time getting setup in this cold weather just to plink around with my 308.

Loaded a few different variations up today and took it back out. Brought along one of my 308's to practice with. Found I could not center the windage to POI and eventually the crosshairs stopped moving left or right. Verticle worked until I got it home. Once it warmed back up to room temp they started working again. I will freeze it again and try to duplicate it. Shame on me for going cheap, I will look for a USO or NXS next time I am in town.

Not too happy, wasted time getting setup in this cold weather just to plink around with my 308.
First time out with the NXS scope, rifle shot good groups at 200, moved out to 400 and shot a little under half moa. Next rifles will be getting NF scopes as well. Happy it was just the budget scope. Vortex said they didn't run into that issue in cold weather -30 or so and I was the first.

First time out with the NXS scope, rifle shot good groups at 200, moved out to 400 and shot a little under half moa. Next rifles will be getting NF scopes as well. Happy it was just the budget scope. Vortex said they didn't run into that issue in cold weather -30 or so and I was the first.
which vortex??

I'm curious as well... I just bought another HS-T 6-24x50 VMR-1 (MRAD) scope and installed it this afternoon.

It's the budget model, viper 6-24x50. Currently sitting on one of my 308s. I don't know why it kept drifting, I bedded the mounts and torqued everything to the book twice until I switched it out. Decent glass especially for the price but doesn't like the deep cold from my experience. The lapua doesn't kick that much with the brake, my 308 is almost as sharp since it's fairly lightweight.

Edit, HS LR I believe.

The HS LR 6-24x50 scopes are like $900, I wouldn't call that a budget model...Unless you're comparing the price to a Nightforce. :cool:

The chrony can't see the bullets shadow due to the reflection off the snow.
Put a large dark coloured tarp under the chrony and see if that fixes it .

It's the budget model, viper 6-24x50. Currently sitting on one of my 308s. I don't know why it kept drifting, I bedded the mounts and torqued everything to the book twice until I switched it out. Decent glass especially for the price but doesn't like the deep cold from my experience. The lapua doesn't kick that much with the brake, my 308 is almost as sharp since it's fairly lightweight.

Edit, HS LR I believe.

A light 338 Lapua with a brake that makes it easy to shoot is hell on optics, I've seen some 338-378 WBY just spit out optics even some decent ones!!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.