Savage models

degreen

I was watching a YouTube channel last night, and the guy said that the model 12 is the same action as the model 10. So what are the differences between the 10/110, 11/111, 12/112, and 16/116.

The action is the same except 3 digit numbers are a long action and 2 digits are short actions, although I've heard they are changing this. The differences are in bells and whistles, such as magazine type, stock type, finish, barrel length & weight, flutes, etc. Savage's website list the features of each. https://www.savagearms.com/content?p=firearms&a=Centerfire.

You are correct, see #5 of my response to the OP on a separate post ...

No, I am kinda new when it comes to different makes, models of actions. I was just curious if the savage actions were basically the same just long action, short action, large shank, small shank.

No, I am kinda new when it comes to different makes, models of actions. I was just curious if the savage actions were basically the same just long action, short action, large shank, small shank.

Savage made many modifications on their actions throughout the years. It is hard to tell what shank configuration was used from year of manufacture. You cannot tell if "all" models have the same shank unless you measure it, that is why it is best to go directly to Savage with the action's serial number. IIRC, they made a limited run on small shank for RUM. Hopefully, somebody more knowledgeable chimes in.

Last edited:
Thank you, this is the kind of information I was looking for. I read somewhere that you could tell if the action is a large or small shank by checking the barrel nut.

Thank you, this is the kind of information I was looking for. I read somewhere that you could tell if the action is a large or small shank by checking the barrel nut.

Yes, 5/8" for large and 7/8" for small but I am not sure if that is still the case for the new models.

Savage small vs large shank 1 of 2.jpg
Savage small vs large shank 2 of 2.JPG

Last edited:
I forget the exact measurements but the short nut is a large shank longer nut is small shank

I dont believe they are all the same. They have right bolt-left eject, right bolt-right eject, some have the top of receiver solid, some are open (check out post #9 by Feenix second pic), etc.

The model numbers also used to tell you what you were buying.

10/110 - Was the basic model usually blind magazine cheap wood or synthetic stock.

12/112 - Varmint/Target configuration of rifles.

14/114 - American Classics with nicer wood stock with ebony tip and higher grade bluing.

16/116 - Stainless steel rifles.

The model numbers also used to tell you what you were buying.

10/110 - Was the basic model usually blind magazine cheap wood or synthetic stock.

12/112 - Varmint/Target configuration of rifles.

14/114 - American Classics with nicer wood stock with ebony tip and higher grade bluing.

16/116 - Stainless steel rifles.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.