Savage model 14

yoda

I have a savage model 14 .243 all stock want to get into some long range shooting what cal. Should I switch to I could go with a 308 and all I would have to change is barrel, want to shoot out at least 600 yd, so some suggest on barrel twist, cal. , optics stock would be help full, and are ea author barrels any good. Thanks

If you are shooting paper, stick with the .243. It doesnt have a problem reaching 600 with the right load. Then you can put the money into optics. After you shoot out that barrel you can swap it for something else based on your exp with the 243.

I would suggest using the 95 grain nosler ballistic tip, or the 100grn Sierra game king. Both have really good ballistic coefficients. As for glass, I would suggest anything vortex, Nikon, sightron. Take a look at the swfa.com SS scopes. Never owned one yet. I have one on the way. I've heard a lot of good things, so it's time to give it a go. I own a Nikon buckmaster and a viper vortex. Should you be going for groundhogs, I suggest something in the 18-20 power range. 14 is okay for 400 or less, but those little brown buggers peeking out of their holes can be difficult to see.

Have Leupold, Night Force, Vortex, and sightron in the line up here. All have pros and cons but right now my overall favorite is the sightron, with price being a consideration. If price is not a consideration the NF is my favorite by far.

However, in the 850-1000 range these scope are all very good. Leupold has better eye relief and parallax adjustment, all the glass seem on par with each other.

I agree, stick with the 243 for light game and targets. Heck of a round. If you rebarrel do the 6.5 creed or 260. Better BC bullets for 1000 yard work in the future.

good advise here. I would also recommend trying the 95 grain bergers.
As for a scope I think I would go for Vortex PST, but others swear by sightron.

good advise here. I would also recommend trying the 95 grain bergers.
As for a scope I think I would go for Vortex PST, but others swear by sightron.

I don't think you can go wrong either way. Side by side the difference are not great. The sightron has 100 MOA vs Vortex at 65. Not an issue for closer shooting but would be for ELR with a 20 MOA base. Sightron has better eye relief and easier power adjustment, parallax adjustment are both stiff but work well. The new Sightron has illumination, but not the older units like mine. I think mine is a year old. Vortex has zero stop, nice plus. I think I would go with the one you could get the best deal on personally, they are both nice scopes.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.