Savage model 16SS 270 WSM question

AZShooter

A friend just got one and I have a question:

This rifle is supposed to have a detachable box magazine. It doesn't. It has a hinged floorplate with a box magazine that is captive inside the action/stock. It has a single stack mag box with feed lips that make it impossible to load from the top. I tried to place a dummy round forward and pushing it under the feed lips the way we often do with a 22 LR magazine box but there isn't enough room.

I can get the two rounds in by opening the floorplate and inserting the cartridges with the rifle inverted then carefully place the follower on the cases and latch the floorplate. They have to be kidding!

I am editing....just went back more determined and tried to feed a round into the mag box from above. With some fumbling finally managed to hold the cartridge far forward and got it to go under those curved feed rails of the box magazine. Guess this is the way to do it. It is not like any rifle I have fed ammo into in the past. .

Am I missing something?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.