.270 wsm question.

Prieto9000

What´s the magic of this cartridge?? I heard a lot of good stuff about this cartridge, I´m a huge fan of the 7mm RM for deer sized game but a lot of my hunting buddies have traded their good old 7mm RM for .270 WSM´s swearing it hits way harder and it´s far more accurate out of the box with factory ammo.
They even convinced me to order a Sako Finnlight chambered for this cartridge which I´m expecting to get my hands on very soon.

I´ve been charting some ballistics tables and can´t really find any real advantage of the .270 over the 7mm. It won´t shoot faster, won´t go farther and won´t hit harder. Is there anything I´m missing there??
the .270 pushes a 130gr bullet at about the same velocity as a 140gr out of the 7mm and the 7mm offers much better BC´s than the .270 over the whole range of bullet weights.

I´m planning on using my finnlight as a mountain rifle topped with a victory HT 2.5-10X50. Let´s see how this comes out.

I own both a 7mm Rem Mag and a 270WSM and both are fine rounds. The advantage that the 270WSM has over the 7mm RM is that it can be chambered in a short action, thus the rifle is shorter and lighter than a 7mm RM. This makes a great mt. rifle.

The advantage that a 7mm Rem Mag has over the 270WSM is that you can load heavier weight bullets(160-180 grains). If you stick with the 130-140 weight bullets there is little difference.

Some people like the non-belt of the 270WSM, but for many that is a non-issue.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.