savage lrp or vlp 243

dan024

greeting im new to the site, but am always on here reading and gathering valuable information. im going to order a new gun today or tomorrow for coyote and some paper punching. im new to long range hunting but have hunted and shot my whole life question is id like a gun suited to long range shooting that i can practice and learn with before i build a custom rig. mainly 700 to 1000 yrds target and coyote out to 600 or a little more till i feel comfortable with hunting out farther. have been reading alot about the savage model 12 lrp and the vlp in 243 win. i love the 243 caliber and also have everything to do my own loads is the barrel that comes factory on the lrp good for what im wanting ?will it stabilize 107gr or is that pushing the limits i know to shoot 115gr i will need a 1/8 twist. i have read on here some earlier thread that guys have bought the vlp and had a 1/8 put on it. but there was no follow up on how it performed i know the vlp is cheaper priced that the lrp but if i need to change the barrel for my needs would the vlp be good as the lrp after the barrel is changed. any information would be great id like to know that what im buying will do what i need it to do providing i do my part

Watch some of "curtisclayne" youtube videos on his LRP 6.5 Creedmoore. Its very exciting to watch him hammer out to 1000 with that. Some day soon I will have it myself.

Edit: just noticed he's a member on this board with a few posts below.

i like the 6.5 as well its just that i feel comfortable with the 243 as in loading and also have three other rifles in the 243 caliber i have read alot on the ballistics and studied charts on the 243 and from what ive seen its a capable rig. i would like to stay with 243 but if it cant do what im needing i guess i can change it up.

IMO for what it is worth), 243 just is not the way to go over 450 yards. Go with the 6.5 creed and invest in some good dies. If you really want to do the long range make the jump.:)

So basically the 243 would be good for target out to a 1000 yrds but for hunting the 6.5 is more capable not that i would shoot a yote at a 1000 anytime soon having a gun that has the ability to do is what i want instead of buying one that cant then spending more on to make it what the 6.5 is

Dan - not being a savage rifle shooter the sad part is that the vlp/ lrp , model 12 f-class really have no competition . at least in that price range. you have to go to a custom barrel/stock on a remington. pick a caliber and start shooting i say.

watch some of these videos of shooting long range coyotes at 1000 yds, with a factory savage 243 lrp, 105 amax.... and you will go out and buy one today.

this is one of 70 videos they have...

Last edited by a moderator:
Just my 2 cent. I have a LRP in .260 rem and I love it. I use it for prairie dog shooting. That being said it is a heavy un balanced gun. It is meant to be shot off of a bi-pod or a bench. It is a savage so it will not let you down. What ever cal. you choose it will be a shooter.

well i went and bought another rifle today. turned out that a 6.5 creedmore was about as good as can get in the model 12 lrp and comparing it to the 243 its just a tad bit better at almost every aspect so when i want to shoot a 243 i will just go to the safe and grab one of the three i already own in that caliber. now that i have picked a rifle i have some other questions i looked at the vortex viper pst 6x24x50 is it good enough for me to start practicing the craft im thinking that i dont need a 2500 scope yet and when i do decide to step it up even further i can always put this on another rifle . lastly should i buy the 20MOA rings or will i get enough adjustment with a good set of rings and this scope i never purchased the scope today but would like to get one soon so i can break in this new rig

Dan, excellent rifle, your going to enjoy that! I have one too and love it.

I think the Vortex PST 6x24x50 is an excellent choice. For the price you cannot beat it. It will dial just as good as a much more expensive scope. It does cut some corners on the glass, but is is not really an issue. It is VERY usable. I would get the 20 MOA rail if you plan on shooting to 1K. Looks like for 1K, at 2700 FPS you would need 29 MOA for 1K at 4500 ft. elevation. A PST has 56 MOA total elevation and you really have access for dial up for about half that, which is 28 MOA. Just 1 MOA short. Hence the need for the 20 MOA rail. Also, the rail allows the cross hairs to be more centered in the optics at longer range and helps too.

Good luck. You are going to have some FUN. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.