Savage or Rem. 243

Deadeye

I am looking at a Sav mod 12 or Rem 700 in 243 for some long range pdogging. Any info would be appreciated. I already have a .223 and 22.250 and would like to know if the 243 is capable of 600 to 800 yrd. shots. Thanks

Howdy Mr. Deadeye,
Both will do a good job, but both will need triggers and tweeking and some quality handloading. I would go with the one with the fastest twist! FYI, get on a search engine and search for"1000 yard benchrest" Go to "Page" NW Benchrest" There you can go to the results of their last shoot{April 12th and 13th} and they list equipment used. The 6mm is doing very, very good at 1000 yds, so 600 to 800 should be some what of a breeze. Good luck, and keep shooting center!!!

Deadeye
take a hard look at the Savage, new trigger system, out of the box shooter. I have a 10fp in 223, saved $$ and fun to shoot. I did replace the trigger but the new ones have great adjustable trigger.
Jim

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.