Savage 12 LRP vs Savage 10 Predator 24"

Just talked to Savage to confirm the order went through and was told they are 20 weeks out. What the #$%^&*. Oh well, I guess it is what it is. Not like I can do anything about it. I hope they open up some more production and hire some of those out of work people.

I hear you... I think you'll be better off building your own, that's what' I'm going to do, you can either buy used Stevens rip out its action throw away its barrel then buy nice Shilen and HS or B&C stock, or buy new action either target or regular and those barrel nuts are not tricky... Or you can try to order them online there are still few places selling them, check Northland Shooters Supply they do have what you looking for

Last edited:
If you guys are interested in the LRP in 6.5 CM I can ship them to your ffl.

Well I would love to take you up on that 6.5 CM, but I am getting mine at a discount for being a gun store employee.

I recently got my Mod 10 Predator Max1 in .243. Had it at the range only once to sight in. Used 80 Rem Core Lokt. Nothing special. That is, until I was getting under .5" three shot groups at 100 yds. Can't wait to try ammo with a better BC and further out.

Well, tried some better ammo and it still shoots 80 Core Lokt better than 100 gr Core Lokt Ultra and Super Performance 95gr SST. Getting an 1" @ 200 yds with plain old 80gr Core Lokt. Oh well.....

My Savage Predator in 22-250 shoots k-Mart 55gr Remington soft point cheapos into a half inch at 200 yards and the expensive stuff no is better than an inch.

They just had an article in a rifle mag about the LRP. The author shot a Creed. Pretty impressive results from what seemed to be a well put together gun. I think they quoted the price at $1100 or just shy of that.

Now that you can get Lapua brass for the 260 I don't know how that will affect the Creed. Cant be good.

I didn't see any reviews on LRP in rifle magazine, but I had one completed by myself. From my first hand experience, I would say its plain crap with a price tag! Also just finished playing with LRPV, same thing. I would suggest to stay away from them as far as you can.

I didn't see any reviews on LRP in rifle magazine, but I had one completed by myself. From my first hand experience, I would say its plain crap with a price tag! Also just finished playing with LRPV, same thing. I would suggest to stay away from them as far as you can.

I'm not particularly impressed with some of the design features of the Savage LRP's but over the past few years at our long range shooting events, the Savages dominate by a wide margin over all the others in factory class. I won a LRH in a raffle a while back in 6.5x284. Hate the stock, muzzle brake is frozen in the open position, and the trigger doesn't adjust well. But it will consistently group three shots under 1.5" at 500 yards!!! I wish all my rifles were this crappy.

Thing of the past should remain there, I have Savage made 5 years ago, it shoots bugholes all day long. This year I bought LRP and couldn't squeeze 1" out of it at 100 yards. After holding it for more then a month Savage replaced it with LRPV which chamber is cut off center so 45 - 50 inch/pound torque is required to operate its bolt, firing pin was not adjusted, it was to far out puncturing primers and developing cratering, I had to adjusted now primers look good, after all it shoots better then LRP, its more then 0.5" but less then 1", at the same time its inconsistent, fliers occur frequently. Just had its chamber redone, it lost about 1/2" in the process, so cycling is not an issue.

One thing has not been mentioned as I read....the LRP is built using the s/shot target action & target Accue trigger..the target Accue trigger is superb...also the LRP has a large shank action...1.118" opposed to the M10 using a standard size shank of 1.055"....there are more prefit aftermarket barrels available for the std size shank than the large shank...getting a large shank barrel usually mean having a barrel built which is usually a 8-10 week wait...FYI....

My last two Savage builds have been both on large shank actions...which are both s/shot solid bottoms...the one is an older 'M' series using a SSS trigger..Pac Nor 8 twist/3 groove no taper 260 AI 28" tube & Choate Varminter stock & Bushnell 6500 6-24 Tact scope..18.6#

Most recent using a Savage Target action & Pac Nor 28" no taper tube 8 twist/3 groove 6.5x55..currently wearing a Millet 4-16x50 Tact scope...Choate Varminter stock...weighs +18# also...thse are both LR heavy target/p-dog rifles...both excellent shooters in the magical 6.5 mm calibers....

The 6.5 CM I'm sure is an efficient cartridge...but I wouldn't want to be held at bay by Hornady for a brass suppy...the 260 will never run out of a constant brass supply using any premium 308 brass from Lapua..IMI....etc........even Lapua 260 is out..(on the shelf ?)

The two rifles compared are apples & oranges....one is an 11# target rifle..& one built to carry easily...Savage barrels are good...but only so good...crowns usually need to be touched up...remember it is a mass produced rifle...not one assembled in your basement/gargage...they do not have the quality that can be had from any custom barrel builder...but the nearly $500 barrel cost reflects the quality....

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.