Savage extraction issues?

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by zr600, Aug 29, 2018.

1. zr600

zr600 Well-Known Member

Ok I have my savage calling rifle in 22-243 that is dropping cases on top of the mag sometimes. Other times it won’t take it out of the chamber then all of a sudden it works fine. What’s causing this? I had Fred at sharp shooter supply true and time the action work good for about 300 rounds now it’s acting up again I know he was supposed to upgrade for this issue. Anyone else have these issues with there savages.

2. Barrelnut

Barrelnut Well-Known Member

Have seen it a couple times. Was due to worn extractors. Usually see it after a 1000 rounds or so. Sometimes don't see it at all. Cheap and easy to replace. I keep a few spares in the general Savage parts box.

jasonco and gohring3006 like this.
  3. Greyfox

Greyfox Well-Known Member

Check/replace the ejector plunger spring also! It’s very small/thin. When it wears, it can collapse/break and produce variable pressure on The ejector. Takes about 3 minutes to replace and a buck or two.

jasonco likes this.
  4. zr600

zr600 Well-Known Member

Do most gun shops have these?

5. Greyfox

Greyfox Well-Known Member

jasonco likes this.
  6. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

As others noted, they are easy and cheap fix. You might consider replacing other components affecting your disassembly while you're at it. Spare are always nice to have.

A couple of videos to guide you in the process ...

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
    jasonco, Barrelnut and gohring3006 like this.
  7. newmexkid

newmexkid Well-Known Member

What!!! I didn't know Midway carried these. I ordered from SSS and waited almost 3 months!!

8. jrock

jrock Well-Known Member

Make sure its clean as well. Call savage for parts as they are cheap in ship quickly.

9. ATH

ATH Well-Known Member

Typical. I have an action which could really use the timing, but I wouldn't consider sending it in to him. Don't trust getting it back.

Barrelnut likes this.