Remington primary extraction issues.

Rckymtnshooter

My son has been buying parts to put together a custom gun. He has all the parts now and I took the Remington 700 action up to the smith we planned on using. The Smith checked the primary extraction and does not feel there is enough to true the action. He does not do any kind of work to adjust the primary extraction.

It sounds like there are a couple of ways to adjust the extraction. What's the best way to go and looking for a Smith to do the work ? I am located in Montana.

My son has been buying parts to put together a custom gun. He has all the parts now and I took the Remington 700 action up to the smith we planned on using. The Smith checked the primary extraction and does not feel there is enough to true the action. He does not do any kind of work to adjust the primary extraction.

It sounds like there are a couple of ways to adjust the extraction. What's the best way to go and looking for a Smith to do the work ? I am located in Montana.

Where in Montana are you located? I am ~20 minutes away from Kirby Allen and he's probably too busy for anything other than full custom, unless he is finally caught up. Also, if you look his FAQ, he will do simple barrel installations and muzzle brake installations but no general gunsmithing repair work.

If you're near Rhian (Bigngreen) or Alex Wheeler, they might be able to help or direct you to someone that might. If you're in the Great Falls/Cascade County area, shoot me a message. Cheers!

Ed

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. I sent a message to Alex Wheeler. He has a great web site and a video dealing with this exact issue.

If those suggestions dont work out try Long Rifles Inc in Sturgis, SD. He will re-weld the bolt on to establish primary extraction.

Dan at Accutig in Fairbanks Alaska is the man to talk to about primary extraction on a remington. He takes the bolt handle off, builds the camming surface up, then tig welds it back in the proper position. I had him fix one for me and it was back at my house about a week and a half after I mailed it to him and I'm located in Mississippi.

Lack of primary extraction is a common problem with new remington 700's. It's unbelievable that remington has been making the M700 for over 50 years and can still screw up something like this.

I have talked to a lot of smiths I am not sure any of them have the understanding Alex Wheeler has. The real problem is unless you got the action for dirt cheap by the time you are done making it right you could have bought a Gunwerks GRB or a Stiller predator. Having said that when Alex is done with it it will most likely cycle smoother than a custom.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.