Savage build

I was thinking wrong as I responded right after I woke up. It's like 13-14 mils at 1360. It would translate to me that with a 243/6mm 100grn Nosler Partion ,
it doesn't have enough energy or speed to do both hunting and long range. I'm on kinda a tight budget, and not real sure what my son will actually do with it through out it's service or how far he takes it out to. We have a mile range within a days drive so a mile could be a possibility. If at all possible I'm trying to build it so it can be used for both.
I'm thinking you're concentrating on the wrong bullet for LR target. A 115 Berger or 108 eldm would be better for that application. You could use either for LR deer probably. 100 PT would be a better close in to "reasonable" hunting range bullet. I have 18-19 mils at 1360 at your elevation, trans sonic at 1060. At a mile you'll probably start looking for another cartridge. At my elevation of 2200 ft even my 260 AI will be at the limits of a mile. All depends on the barrel and the loose nut behind the trigger.

I was thinking wrong as I responded right after I woke up. It's like 13-14 mils at 1360. It would translate to me that with a 243/6mm 100grn Nosler Partion ,
it doesn't have enough energy or speed to do both hunting and long range. I'm on kinda a tight budget, and not real sure what my son will actually do with it through out it's service or how far he takes it out to. We have a mile range within a days drive so a mile could be a possibility. If at all possible I'm trying to build it so it can be used for both.
You are correct, you do not have enough powder capacity to propel the bullet you want to use at that range.

Really with the way things are right now I'd shoot with what you have and get a feeling how you and your son like the competitions. Some of the members might let you both try a few rifles as you get to know them. That will help you figure out what works for the both of you.

So have I. My problem now is with some of the medical conditions I have now. Hard to say, but now I'm recoil sensitive. I can't even shoot my 30/06 anymore. I really would like to go to a 7mm-08 or a 7mm. But It wouldn't do me any good because it's to much recoil. Even though I have a really great 4 port break, I'm not sure if it would reduce it enough.
Is the build for you or your son?

I'm thinking you're concentrating on the wrong bullet for LR target. A 115 Berger or 108 eldm would be better for that application. You could use either for LR deer probably. 100 PT would be a better close in to "reasonable" hunting range bullet. I have 18-19 mils at 1360 at your elevation, trans sonic at 1060. At a mile you'll probably start looking for another cartridge. At my elevation of 2200 ft even my 260 AI will be at the limits of a mile. All depends on the barrel and the loose nut behind the trigger.
I would like to just have one bullet for both instead of using two different ones. In the 6mm variety they don't make a bonded bullet so that's why I'm considering the 6.5. I've never shot a 7mm-08 which I'd like to try but I'm not sure how much recoil it has. It's a really hard decision as to which one to start off with.
I've never hunted with a cup and core bullet so I'm not sure how on the lethality of them. With the Nosler's I've never had a deer go more than 40yds. It may even get changed to a different caliber after he really gets into it but I'm not sure yet.

Is the build for you or your son?
For both of us right now, but he will be the one hunting and competing with it. I will just be shooting from a bench or maybe prone. But because of my conditions I can't compete, being I can't walk very far with out a cane or bend over easy. It takes a little bit for me to even to get into prone.

For both of us right now, but he will be the one hunting and competing with it. I will just be shooting from a bench or maybe prone. But because of my conditions I can't compete, being I can't walk very far with out a cane or bend over easy. It takes a little bit for me to even to get into prone.
It will be something for him to hunt with and to start with and learn good trigger control and shooting form without having to worry about to much recoil.
I was really surprised when he said something about competing with it because that wasn't even a thought and I didn't know he was interested in that side of it

For both of us right now, but he will be the one hunting and competing with it. I will just be shooting from a bench or maybe prone. But because of my conditions I can't compete, being I can't walk very far with out a cane or bend over easy. It takes a little bit for me to even get into prone.
I am sorry to hear about your physical condition. I see two different requirements for you and your son to find the best compromise.

I am sorry to hear about your physical condition. I see two different requirements for you and your son to find the best compromise.
Thanks but it's just life I guess. There are two different ones. Even though I'd really like to stay with the 243, because I love that round a lot. It may have to be the 6.5 cm for both parameters to be met at this moment to get him started and for me to have some fun also. It's the compromise that's the hard part on which one to go with.

Thanks but it's just life I guess. There are two different ones. Even though I'd really like to stay with the 243, because I love that round a lot. It may have to be the 6.5 cm for both parameters to be met at this moment to get him started and for me to have some fun also. It's the compromise that's the hard part on which one to go with.
It's only a barrel, the time you and you son will get to spend together will be priceless.
I've never shot a 6.5 CM but I've been around the .260 a bit. I'd imagine the felt recoil is similar.

The 7mm-08 has more recoil than both of them, but not much.

A break will tame them all and like FEENIX says, you may both need separate cartridges. You might want to move to a .223 or a .22 CM (heavy for caliber bullets are really impressive in the .224 bore)for yourself and get him settled into something bigger.

Really with the Savage you could continue to use the 243 win and just swap barrels. Heck for a mile you could even get a longer 284 win barrel and single feed 180's.

It's only a barrel, the time you and you son will get to spend together will be priceless.
I've never shot a 6.5 CM but I've been around the .260 a bit. I'd imagine the felt recoil is similar.

The 7mm-08 has more recoil than both of them, but not much.

A break will tame them all and like FEENIX says, you may both need separate cartridges. You might want to move to a .223 or a .22 CM (heavy for caliber bullets are really impressive in the .224 bore)for yourself and get him settled into something bigger.
I have a really nice 4 port break that will work on anything 6.5 and under. Even if it's just to 1360 for maybe a year that would be fine for both of us. My 06 may even get changed if he wants a long action but it's pre accu trigger so the trigger would have to be changed to a Timmeny or something else. I never even thought about the .22 cm

That stock savage old school trigger can be made to run with any of the aftermarket offerings
with very little work, your gunsmith should know this, but may wan to just install an aftermarket for simplicity.
Check out some YouTube vids, Vaughn Precision has a good one.
The 22CM is essentially a 22-250 Improved, there is great brass support for it too
Don't get to hung up with cup/core and bonded,
You may very well find you have to have two different cartridges and two different loads for the each of ya

That stock savage old school trigger can be made to run with any of the aftermarket offerings
with very little work, your gunsmith should know this, but may wan to just install an aftermarket for simplicity.
Check out some YouTube vids, Vaughn Precision has a good one.
The 22CM is essentially a 22-250 Improved, there is great brass support for it too
Don't get to hung up with cup/core and bonded,
You may very well find you have to have two different cartridges and two different loads for the each of ya
I've watched a lot of his videos. I haven't really looked at the 22cm so I didn't even realize it's basically a 22-250 I may have to look into it a lot further