Savage build

I've looked for Sierra 100grn TGK for a year now and still can't find them anywhere. But I normally shoot 100grn Nosler Partion's. Problem is that bullet is like 29-30 mil at 1360 and is already subsonic at like 12-1250 if I remember right from the ballistic chart I ran
If you are wanting to shoot those kinds of distances, change the bolt case out and move to a 6mm SST and step above 100 gr bullets.
Or better yet, the 6.5 SS or PRC

I'm still not awake yet lol. I was thinking of the wrong data. I've been running data out to a mile as I'm not sure what my son will actually do with it if he competes with it. Plus using it as a hunting rifle. It's actually 13-14 mils on that round at 1360 which is as far as the range goes that I have access to.

If you are wanting to shoot those kinds of distances, change the bolt case out and move to a 6mm SST and step above 100 gr bullets.
Or better yet, the 6.5 SS or PRC
That's precisely the point I was getting at in #14—wrong chambering for the intended purpose. Unfortunately, with Savage SA, he might (?) not have enough OAL to take advantage of those long high BC bullets fully.

That's precisely the point I was getting at in #14—wrong chambering for the intended purpose. Unfortunately, with Savage SA, he might (?) not have enough OAL to take advantage of those long high BC bullets fully.
Yeah or he'll maybe need a few rifles. Cheap trainer, then a dedicated competition rifle if his son gets into it, and a hunter. It's nice to get one rifle that does it all but it's not always ideal.

Right now it's between a 243 or 6.5 cm. I've always used bonded bullets for hunting. If any of the bullet makers, would make a bonded in 105 or 108 that had better BC's it would be an easy decision. I'm not real sure if I want to use a cup and core bullet, because of some of the horror stories I've read about. And with both calibers shot placement is the key, but 243 it's more important being a smaller bullet. I absolutely love the 243 for ballistics and recoil. Recoil will be met with a brake on either on though so it shouldn't be real bad on a 6.5 cm

I have faught this over in my head so much.
I finally ordered (3) magnum bolt faces from PTG
For my short action Savages.
The SS will allow me to run up into the 162-168 gr range in 7mm. Not sure if the 156 EOL in 6.5 would be to long in an SS or not.

Last edited:
If I stay with the 243 it will have a 24" 8 twist Criterion match barrel from Jim at Northland Shooting Supply. That way I will be able to shoot heavy bullets. But I'm limited to cup and core instead of any bonded bullets which I've used for a long time.
From what I can find it's either Hornady or Berger for a 105 or 108 bullet. Being we process our own meat, I'm not a real big fan of a lot of meat damage or picking out a lot of lead out of the meat. Sometimes I wish I hadn't jumped down this rabbit hole, as it's been a back and forth decision that on some days has no end in the back and forth part lol.

I have caught this over in my head so much.
I finally ordered (3) magnum bolt faces from PTG
For my short action Savages.
The SS will allow me to run up into the 162-168 gr range in 7mm. Not sure if the 156 EOL in 6.5 would be to long in an SS or not.
So have I. My problem now is with some of the medical conditions I have now. Hard to say, but now I'm recoil sensitive. I can't even shoot my 30/06 anymore. I really would like to go to a 7mm-08 or a 7mm. But It wouldn't do me any good because it's to much recoil. Even though I have a really great 4 port break, I'm not sure if it would reduce it enough.

I think the Model 12 LRP allowed for seating just over 3" with detachable mag. But no ideal for Model 11. Maybe a 6.5 CM would be the easiest solution for the OP at this point. The OP could take this as a step towards the evolution of a rifle. Like WYOHTF and FEENIX said a different cartridge might fit your needs better in the future. A 243 win or 6.5 CM would get you started towards some fun.

I think the Model 12 LRP allowed for seating just over 3" with detachable mag. But no ideal for Model 11. Maybe a 6.5 CM would be the easiest solution for the OP at this point. The OP could take this as a step towards the evolution of a rifle. Like WYOHTF and FEENIX said a different cartridge might fit your needs better in the future. A 243 win or 6.5 CM would get you started towards some fun.
Kinda my thoughts. When the 6.5 came out I wanted to try it. But I didn't because I had everything I needed in my 243. Then a few years ago Great Plains Precision opened, which is within a decent short drive from me. And I started thinking about the 6.5 again.
It will be a dual purpose rifle for a while between deer hunting and LR target. My son has even made comments about maybe entering in some competitions.

Kinda my thoughts. When the 6.5 came out I wanted to try it. But I didn't because I had everything I needed in my 243. Then a few years ago Great Plains Precision opened, which is within a decent short drive from me. And I started thinking about the 6.5 again.
It will be a dual purpose rifle for a while between deer hunting and LR target. My son has even made comments about maybe entering in some competitions.
What are the ranges that the competitions will be shot at and what competitions? What would the deer hunting range limitations be? And finally what would be the ranges you be shooting the most at?

So have I. My problem now is with some of the medical conditions I have now. Hard to say, but now I'm recoil sensitive. I can't even shoot my 30/06 anymore. I really would like to go to a 7mm-08 or a 7mm. But It wouldn't do me any good because it's to much recoil. Even though I have a really great 4 port break, I'm not sure if it would reduce it enough.
I have never owned a break, have shot a few rigs with breaks on them.
I would think the felt recoil on a 6.5 or 7mm Short Action cartridge would be reduced considerably.
I have a few rifles in .308 based cartridges, none of them kick very bad at all, installing a break would make them about like my 17 Hornet
I know about injuries too, hope things get better
Or solutions are discovered

So what does this translate to you?
I was thinking wrong as I responded right after I woke up. It's like 13-14 mils at 1360. It would translate to me that with a 243/6mm 100grn Nosler Partion ,
it doesn't have enough energy or speed to do both hunting and long range. I'm on kinda a tight budget, and not real sure what my son will actually do with it through out it's service or how far he takes it out to. We have a mile range within a days drive so a mile could be a possibility. If at all possible I'm trying to build it so it can be used for both.

What are the ranges that the competitions will be shot at and what competitions? What would the deer hunting range limitations be? And finally what would be the ranges you be shooting the most at?
1. The one to start of with would be Great Plains Precision in Ottawa KS. Maybe more he's not sure about the competitions yet.
2. Right now probably nothing over 200-500 yards.
3. There are 2 that we can go to. Shortest is 200yds, the longest is 1360yds. But we have a mile range within a days drive.