Savage build

I've built several rifles off savage actions. My only problem ever has been stock selection. McMillan or Manners are really the only two that make good custom stocks(hunting type) for Savage. OTC models aren't really abundant. B&C makes some as do Hogue and a few others but not nearly as many as the Remington 700 models. The sticks your looking at are excellent options. Chassis stocks are nice platforms. My 300 PRC build will be wearing one.
Manners doesn't offer a lot for the Savage, and only in short action I believe. McMillan still offers Savage stocks but you have to send in your barreled action and bottom metal to be fitted to their stocks and you can only get a "magnum fill" stock according to an email I got. Sure defeats the purpose if you're looking for a light weight stock, I contacted them after posting here because I went to look at the Game Scout and found Savage wasn't listed as an option anymore.

Hello Chad,

Thank you for your interest in McMillan Fiberglass Stocks.

We do have options for your Savage rifle. However, please note we will need the rifle's barreled action and bottom metal/trigger guard sent in to us, to fit the rifle to the stock. We also require a magnum fill in all Savage stocks so carbon fiber is not an option. Please fill out the attached Savage check sheet and I'll be happy to send you a list of stocks that will work with your specific rifle.

McMillan FAQ's: https://mcmillanusa.com/faqs/

McMillan Colors & Finishes: https://mcmillanusa.com/gallery/

McMillan Marble Gallery: https://precisionrifleblog.com/2013/07/03/200-mcmillan-stock-colors-photos/

Best regards,

Gerald "Jeree" Hills

McMillan Fiberglass Stocks, Inc.
1638 W. Knudsen Drive
Phoenix, AZ 85027
Tel: 623-582-9635
Fax: 623-581-3825
www.mcmillanusa.com

Guys I really appreciate all the input. Looks like I will be contacting NSS to place an order. After Looking at the accustock it looks like it can be opened up and support a fairly big barrel so I'll probably give it a shot and see how it goes.

I've had three A5s fitted and bedded by McM for LA Savage builds. Pricy for sure but probably arguably the best stock out there unless your looking for a lightweight build. Manners will do the same. It's just a pricy custom service. I prefer buying a pre inletted stock and bedding and final fitting myself. B&C made a dura stock for Savage that is light weight. Pillar bedded. Owned one but sold it due to fitment issues(shooter fitment).

Manners told me via email that the would not build a stock for a LA Savage. I repeated why in an earlier post in this thread.
Thats too bad. I had one built probably 15 years ago thru John Pierce in Michigan. They did a good job. Didn't read your post on why they stopped. I guess another stick unable to get for a LA Savage.

Ordered my current project's barrel from NSS, could not be happier with the process. They were the only one to list my caliber of choice. I went with their nut and lug as well. Very nicely machined and good looking parts IMHO.

Ordered my Savage LA PT&G bottom metal on 20/06/20 and have yet to receive it or any communication saying when it will arrive. I knew that it would be like this going in, but I was not finding another option currently available for a long action.
LA seems to be the sticking point, lots more options for the Savage SA's. Magpul does make LA caliber AICS magazines. Anything based on the .284 case may want the .300WM magazine, not sure about that, but it's body size is closer to that of a magnum case body than it is to a '06 family case body size.

The only two options that I found for the stock shape that I wanted (wide, flat forearm, vertical pistol grip, & butt hook) were Boyd's and Stockade Stocks. Manners refuses to make anything for the Savage LA's because of the rear guard screw location. Their claim is that it results in a weak stock due to it going thru a bridge in the inletting. Which is a shame because it was their stock on a CZ 455 Varmint Precision Trainer that got me going in that direction in the first place.
Real shame for sure. McMillan has it figured out.

I'm have not looked at their web site lately but I like this chassis. Depending on the model they may have more adjustable stocks. Someone with a small statue might not like the length of pull on mine.

My Oryx is for the Axis Action and I have a NSS 26" Criterion 6.5-06 Match barrel on it.

Bolt face, the nut in the rear of the bolt sleeve , the cocking piece and the firing pin are the only Savage parts left.

View attachment 211014View attachment 211015

Pretty sweet shooter too! Makes me look like I know what I'm doing at long range!
Very Nice. The Savage Axis action is a Sleeper. I've built a couple of fine shooting rigs based on a Savage axis action.

Manners told me via email that the would not build a stock for a LA Savage. I repeated why in an earlier post in this thread.
I've got a manners for a 700 and I like it but honestly, it's light but it's not the stiffest stock I have. My older HS stocks are stiffest.

So what's your thoughts on building a 6.5x284 on a axis action? Do you think it will function good running the 140 VLD?
I think you will be fine. As you probably already know, all of the axis actions are the exact same whether long or short action. The only differences are bolt heads, trigger guards and magazine length. Just rotate bolt baffle 180 degrees for short or long action. You shouldn't have any feeding issues. You may have to slightly widen the feed lips with pliars if you use a factory magazine but it's no problem. If you are going to used the factory magazine, I would try to use a long action based axis so you can get the long magazine with the rifle.

I think you will be fine. As you probably already know, all of the axis actions are the exact same whether long or short action. The only differences are bolt heads, trigger guards and magazine length. Just rotate bolt baffle 180 degrees for short or long action. You shouldn't have any feeding issues. You may have to slightly widen the feed lips with pliars if you use a factory magazine but it's no problem. If you are going to used the factory magazine, I would try to use a long action based axis so you can get the long magazine with the rifle.
How is stock availability for the Axis ? Variety is my meaning

How is stock availability for the Axis ? Variety is my meaning
Boyds has several options in Sporter barrel Channel stocks. They have a pro varmint stock also that you could get in black color & camo it up yourself pretty easy.

Screenshot_20200828-144308.png

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.