Savage build

volunteerbee

So this will be my first go at a semi custom rifle. I'm currently shooting a 6.5x284 savage LRH. It is the newer version with the accustock. My goal is to only use the action and build another 6.5x284. I want to go back with a larger barrel then the factory one so that eliminates me using the factory stock . I would also like for the new rifle to have a removable magazine unlike the LRH. Now my question is can this be done with this action and can someone tell me exactly what all I will need to make it happen? Also I'm all ears on recommendations for which pre fit barrel to go with and what length. And as for a stock what do you guys recommend? This rifle will be on the bench about 75% if the time and carried short distances to hunt. I'm thinking something about the size of a sendero barrel. Any and all of your all's input and help will be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 393
I agree with MNbogboy. James at Northland shooters supply is great. He only takes phone orders. I think it's because he wants to talk with the buyer to make sure the buyer gets a barrel that is going to 100% work just like you want it to. I've bought 2 criterions from him and bore scoped both. They are my go to prefit. If he don't answer the phone he will call you back shortly even if you don't leave a message so be ready for him to call you back within 10-30 minutes. As far as the 6.5x284, there are more knowledgeable people here than me on that particular cartridge. I will say that you will have no trouble rebarreling to that cartridge but you need to find out for sure that you don't get a barrel with a tighter neck if you don't want to turn case necks. Also, figure out what grain weight and type of bullets you want shoot. James should be able to fix you up with the right freebore in the chamber also, along with the right twist rate.

I have no problems with using NSS, but most barrel makers will do a Savage prefit. If you like a particular brand of barrel there is no reason you can't get it for your Savage. I wouldn't like the weight of a Sendero barrel, so I'f I wanted that contour I might use a Proof Research CF barrel.

The only bottom metal that will work with the bottom bolt release Savage rifles I know of is the PT&G Stealth which uses ACIS style magazines. As others have mentioned you could probably open your barrel channel up to accommodate the new barrel contour, if you're not comfortable doing it a gunsmith could make short work of it.

Stocks come down to budget. Bell & Carlson or Boyd's will probably be the cheapest route, but the more you spend on a stock the fewer fitment issues you'll have. I would really like a McMillan, probably the Game Scout if it were my rifle. I don't know of any current chassis systems that work with the bottom bolt release Savage rifles.

Last edited:
I have no problems with using NSS, but most barrel makers will do a Savage prefit. If you like a particular brand of barrel there is no reason you can't get it for your Savage. I wouldn't like the weight of a Sendero barrel, so I'f I wanted that contour I might use a Proof Research CF barrel.

The only bottom metal that will work with the bottom bolt release Savage rifles I know of is the PT&G Stealth which uses ACIS style magazines. As others have mentioned you could probably open your barrel channel up to accommodate the ne barrel contour, if you're not comfortable doing it a gunsmith could make short work of it.

Stocks come down to budget. Bell & Carlson or Boyd's will probably be the cheapest route,but the more you spend on a stock the fewer fitmentissues you'll have. I would really like a McMillan, probably the Game Scout if it were my rifle. I don't know of any current chassis systems that work with the bottom bolt release Savage rifles.
I believe the MDT Oryx chassis will accommodate both bottom & top release.

I stand corrected, looks like most chassis systems support the BBR Savage. They just mill a slot in the trigger guard, then you use a tool to remove the bolt. I just tend to avoid the BBR rifles, opting for the top bolt release it just makes things simple.

Last edited:
I've built a pile of savage action based rifles. Chassis, accustock, etc. There is no limit to what you can do. If you wish for less machine time you can do a MDT chassis, aics mag, and a prefit of your choice. I've used mcgowen, shilen, criterion, xcaliber, shaw, and proof.

You can true the action easily. Change triggers. Change nut and lug to a cnc. You can open the channel on any stock. You can bed no accustock stocks, if accu then leave it alone.

The only bottom metal that will work with the bottom bolt release Savage rifles I know of is the PT&G Stealth which uses ACIS style magazines. As others have mentioned you could probably open your barrel channel up to accommodate the new barrel contour, if you're not comfortable doing it a gunsmith could make short work of it.

Stocks come down to budget. Bell & Carlson or Boyd's will probably be the cheapest route, but the more you spend on a stock the fewer fitment issues you'll have. I would really like a McMillan, probably the Game Scout if it were my rifle. I don't know of any current chassis systems that work with the bottom bolt release Savage rifles.
Ordered my current project's barrel from NSS, could not be happier with the process. They were the only one to list my caliber of choice. I went with their nut and lug as well. Very nicely machined and good looking parts IMHO.

Ordered my Savage LA PT&G bottom metal on 20/06/20 and have yet to receive it or any communication saying when it will arrive. I knew that it would be like this going in, but I was not finding another option currently available for a long action.
LA seems to be the sticking point, lots more options for the Savage SA's. Magpul does make LA caliber AICS magazines. Anything based on the .284 case may want the .300WM magazine, not sure about that, but it's body size is closer to that of a magnum case body than it is to a '06 family case body size.

The only two options that I found for the stock shape that I wanted (wide, flat forearm, vertical pistol grip, & butt hook) were Boyd's and Stockade Stocks. Manners refuses to make anything for the Savage LA's because of the rear guard screw location. Their claim is that it results in a weak stock due to it going thru a bridge in the inletting. Which is a shame because it was their stock on a CZ 455 Varmint Precision Trainer that got me going in that direction in the first place.

So this will be my first go at a semi custom rifle. I'm currently shooting a 6.5x284 savage LRH. It is the newer version with the accustock. My goal is to only use the action and build another 6.5x284. I want to go back with a larger barrel then the factory one so that eliminates me using the factory stock . I would also like for the new rifle to have a removable magazine unlike the LRH. Now my question is can this be done with this action and can someone tell me exactly what all I will need to make it happen? Also I'm all ears on recommendations for which pre fit barrel to go with and what length. And as for a stock what do you guys recommend? This rifle will be on the bench about 75% if the time and carried short distances to hunt. I'm thinking something about the size of a sendero barrel. Any and all of your all's input and help will be greatly appreciated.
So, I kinda did something dry similar to you with my Savage 116. Bought a used one from Ryan (Smokepoles) off the classifieds here. It was a 30-06, but he swapped out a new factory 6.5-284 barrel for me and gave me both a magnum and standard bolt face. The previous owner opened up the Accustock barrel channel with a dremel I believe. Not a custom job, but really isn't noticeable until you take the barreled action out. I also contacted Savage and got the conversion kit to make it a DBM from the hunger floorplate. Very easy to do. Once I shot the barrel out, my gunsmith installed a 28" Krieger barrel in Rem Varmit contour. There was plenty of room in the barrel channel.
Anyway, the rifle is a tack driver.
Now, I recently built a 280 AI using James at NSS for everything but the stock. Did a Rem700 action with Criterion Remage style prefit. It was surprisingly easy to put it all together properly. So, I'd highly recommend using him. A0E67281-AE99-419E-84DD-B44CAF588BE0.jpeg

I'm have not looked at their web site lately but I like this chassis. Depending on the model they may have more adjustable stocks. Someone with a small statue might not like the length of pull on mine.

My Oryx is for the Axis Action and I have a NSS 26" Criterion 6.5-06 Match barrel on it.

Bolt face, the nut in the rear of the bolt sleeve , the cocking piece and the firing pin are the only Savage parts left.

20200313_232707.jpg
20200322_165230.jpg

Pretty sweet shooter too! Makes me look like I know what I'm doing at long range!

I've built several rifles off savage actions. My only problem ever has been stock selection. McMillan or Manners are really the only two that make good custom stocks(hunting type) for Savage. OTC models aren't really abundant. B&C makes some as do Hogue and a few others but not nearly as many as the Remington 700 models. The sticks your looking at are excellent options. Chassis stocks are nice platforms. My 300 PRC build will be wearing one.

Another vote for NSS. The first time I bought from him I went with a Shilen because I could get it blued for no additional cost. The second time I bought Shilen because the first barrel shot so well. The second one hasn't disappointed either. My only complaint is that they are more of a straight taper. I would have preferred a standard taper on my second barrel.

I went 26" with Savage Varmint contour and B&C Medalist stock. It's my bench rifle and too heavy to walk with. Second rifle is a Savage Heavy Sporter 24" with B&C Sporter stock. For me, it's the perfect balance of light enough to do some walking, but thick enough to give you that extra confidence of shooting a heavy barrel. It's a little front heavy, and not that well balanced. You'll want some kind of a rest to shoot it off of, even if it's just a piece of 2x4 or resting your hand on a tree trunk. My next rifle I'm building I'm sticking with a 24" standard sporter barrel, and that will be my walking/hiking rifle.

I can't help with stocks because I've never used DBM. I have a full length aluminum bedded Hogue on the way. I'm excited to give it a try. I'm very happy with the B&Cs that I have though.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.