Savage build

How is stock availability for the Axis ? Variety is my meaning

This thread has a $250 pawn shop axis that came with a wood stock that I painted and opened up the barrel Channel on for a NSS varmint contour criterion.

This is another axis that I put together from a $198 clearance axis & spare axis parts plus a 6.5 creedmoor 26" barrel that I had pulled off of a Remington 783. $220 dollars invested minus the scope, rings & base.

IMG_20200704_155244302_HDR.jpg

This thread has a $250 pawn shop axis that came with a wood stock that I painted and opened up the barrel Channel on for a NSS varmint contour criterion.

This is another axis that I put together from a $198 clearance axis & spare axis parts plus a 6.5 creedmoor 26" barrel that I had pulled off of a Remington 783. $220 dollars invested minus the scope, rings & base.

View attachment 211141
783 and Axis has the same thread size/pitch ?

783 and Axis has the same thread size/pitch ?
Yes. Same threads. The 783 barrel is usually not chambered quite as deep as a Savage small shank barrel, so I had to make sure that I didn't have too much bolt head to barrel face clearance. And I didn't. If putting a Savage small shank barrel on a 783, sometimes the barrel face or bolt face may or may not need .010 to .015 or so took off so the barrel face doesn't touch the bolt face to obtain correct headspace. Sometimes it doesn't need any took off. Either way it's not a big obstacle.

Last edited:
Yes. Same threads. The 783 barrel is usually not chambered quite as deep as a Savage small shank barrel, so I had to make sure that I didn't have too much bolt head to barrel face clearance. And I didn't. If putting a Savage small shank barrel on a 783, sometimes the barrel face or bolt face may or may not need .010 to .015 or so took off the bolt head so it doesn't touch the bolt face to obtain correct headspace. Sometimes it doesn't need any took off. Either way it's not a big obstacle.
The 783 is a near copy of a Marlin xs7 or xL7. Barrels interchange. Many other parts between the Marlin & 783 with interchange. Remington bought Marlin and used the x7 to base the Remington 783 from.

Ordered my Savage LA PT&G bottom metal on 20/06/20 and have yet to receive it or any communication saying when it will arrive. I knew that it would be like this going in, but I was not finding another option currently available for a long action.
Just got a notice, it shipped today. Maybe they have some small inventory now?

So this will be my first go at a semi custom rifle. I'm currently shooting a 6.5x284 savage LRH. It is the newer version with the accustock. My goal is to only use the action and build another 6.5x284. I want to go back with a larger barrel then the factory one so that eliminates me using the factory stock . I would also like for the new rifle to have a removable magazine unlike the LRH. Now my question is can this be done with this action and can someone tell me exactly what all I will need to make it happen? Also I'm all ears on recommendations for which pre fit barrel to go with and what length. And as for a stock what do you guys recommend? This rifle will be on the bench about 75% if the time and carried short distances to hunt. I'm thinking something about the size of a sendero barrel. Any and all of your all's input and help will be greatly appreciated.
Call Northland shooters supply they will probably have what your looking for on the shelf. I love Graboe stocks with M5 inlet and magazines! Not sure if they make for savage yet. Also McMillan with M5 inlet.

Call Northland shooters supply they will probably have what your looking for on the shelf. I love Graboe stocks with M5 inlet and magazines! Not sure if they make for savage yet. Also McMillan with M5 inlet.
I will be giving them a call on Monday. Thanks again for all the help guys. I posted this thread hoping for a little help and I got much more than I ever expected. You guys are awesome!

One last comment, he's going to try sell you a precision recoil lug and barrel nut. It makes sense, but they arent absolutely necessary. I'd start thinking now if you want them. They only come in stainless, unless somethings changed.

He will ask also if you have the go/no go gauges, I always use my brass instead of gauges to head space because I keep my builds. If you are going to eventually sell it, It's a good idea to use the go/no go gauges. Also he asks if wrenches are needed. He's not really any more pricey than anyone else on all of that so if you need it, its probably just as easy to get it from him.

The NSS barrel nut & recoil lug are a quantum step up compared the Savage parts. They may not be necessary, but if squeezing all that you can out of the assembly is the goal I'd call them a requirement. If you're just building a back-up or training rifle they may not have a good ROI.

I always buy the Head-Space gauges. In a lot of cases (no pun intended) once you have a set you're covered for more than one cartridge. For instance, I bought them for a 6BR, and those will cover all of the BR cases.

Check out stockade gunstocks. He is savage specifically my cousin has a stock from him that is very nice.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.