Savage actions and 6.5 wildcats

jrock

Official LRH Sponsor
LRH Sponsor
I would like some opinions on what 6.5mm cartridge would be best matched to a SA or LA. Here is the scoop. I have a Model 12 FV (small shank I believe) in .204 I only use in the summer. I also have an older 110 in 30-06 that is collection dust. I plan to do a barrel swap on one of these to a 6.5 to shot the 140 VLD class bullets.

My goal was to get about 1800 fps and 1000 ft*lbs of energy at 1000 yards for hunting and have narrowed it down to a few calibers.

260 AI: I hear seating the bullets out needs a long action (~2930 fps)
6.5x284: Long action required for long bullets as well (~2950 fps)
6.5x300 SAUM: Short action with bullets seated out (~3150 fps)
6.5x-06 AI: Long action required. Don't know COAL for 140 vlds seated long so I'm not sure if they will still fit in a LA mag (~3150 fps)

I've contacted quite a number of barrel manufactures that can do a drop-in barrel and the 6.5x284 is the only wide spread stock offering. One or two have even a 260 AI.

I have a buddy who built a 6.5x284 on a savage 110. Savages are really easy to build and the prefit options you have are endless. His shoots lights out with 142 matchkings.
On another note, the 6.5 saum would be awesome in a short action.

I would like some opinions on what 6.5mm cartridge would be best matched to a SA or LA. Here is the scoop. I have a Model 12 FV (small shank I believe) in .204 I only use in the summer. I also have an older 110 in 30-06 that is collection dust. I plan to do a barrel swap on one of these to a 6.5 to shot the 140 VLD class bullets.

My goal was to get about 1800 fps and 1000 ft*lbs of energy at 1000 yards for hunting and have narrowed it down to a few calibers.

260 AI: I hear seating the bullets out needs a long action (~2930 fps)
6.5x284: Long action required for long bullets as well (~2950 fps)
6.5x300 SAUM: Short action with bullets seated out (~3150 fps)
6.5x-06 AI: Long action required. Don't know COAL for 140 vlds seated long so I'm not sure if they will still fit in a LA mag (~3150 fps)

I've contacted quite a number of barrel manufactures that can do a drop-in barrel and the 6.5x284 is the only wide spread stock offering. One or two have even a 260 AI.

I have a couple 112 actions in my safe (very similar to a 110 action), and these are a little longer than a Remington 700 long action. I also found the Mod.12 action to be about .150" longer than the 700 short action (it will cycle a 6mm case). Still way too short for a 30-06 case length. With a 110 action, the 6.5-06 is a no brainer, but I'd be going a step further, and use the 6.5 Sherman. Cases are always easy to come by.
gary

I have a large shank, short action chambered in 6.5 Leopard; or 6.5 XX 300 WSM. Then a Creedmoor and a 264 WM.
Really confess down to what you want, Vs. BS since internet ninja sells you on.
If you are simply talking loading anything until just short of case failure, then do anything you want, they are all about the same. If you want SAAMI Pressure performances, the Win Mag is king in long action, in a pinched short action the 284 case wins. At one point I believed all the magic about WSM's, RUM's, SAUM's, Jesus and the Easter Bunny. That was before the Pressure Trace testing equipment... Choose what you want, learn to be wicked accurate with it, and work within its capabilities; not an arbitrary holy grail.

Seems like the 6.5x284 is a pretty easy conversion on the 110 action. Dies are less costly than a custom 6.5-06 AI. Either way, the 6.5x284 and 6.5-06 AI would use all the same parts on the 110 action correct?
Converting the SA to a 260 AI or saum would require replacement of the bolt head and magazine parts since it's currently a .204.
I was wanting a case that wasn't running at max pressure to get the down range energy I want as the accuracy node is rarely at max pressure.

Sin Arms 6.5 sin? I'm hoping to build one soon with a extra 338 sin barrel to switch when a bigger cal is needed.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.