Savage action choice?

HMG

So after reading the article about semi custom longrange rifles on a budget, i have decided to search for a Savage action to build a semi custom rifle for learning to shoot longer ranges. (out to around 1K)

My first question was whether it matters what Savage action i look for? I want to go with a 300 Win mag, as thats what ive been shooting for a while now. Are there any special considerations i need to take into account when looking for a Savage action for 300 win mag, beyond that it has an accutrigger?

Second quesion. Are there any Canadians around who could tell me if theres anything i should know about getting custom barrels and after market parts here in Canada? Any problems with getting this stuff up here in Canada? Anything to be wary of?

Savage is a very good choice for a first long-range build. Look for a savage 110 action(long action version of the model 10) and yes the accutrigger is a must. They are a great trigger and the added safety of the sear block is always a plus. As far as firearms parts in Canada it is quite a pain to order from the u.s. According to our border policies anything firearms related over $100 needs to be accompanied by appropriate importing license. I can't say this is very well enforced because I have made a few orders exceeding this amount. If your from around Alberta area pm me and I can recommend a few good distributors and smiths.

-Garry

I wouldn't even be stuck on the accu-trigger. Get a cheaper stevens in 300wm then add a sharpshooter supply competition trigger. Don't get me wrong, I like the savage trigger for something that is stock it may be the best trigger on the market but the SSS trigger is better. If you go with a stevens for the action you'll save enough to mostly cover the cost of the upgraded trigger. Also if you haven't already do some reading on savageshooters.com. Tons of information and a lot of savage savy people.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.