Savage 11FCXP3, does it live up to the Savage name?

verticalTRX

I'm in the market for an inexpensive rifle primarily for coyote and maybe the occasional whitetail. I'm limiting my search to Savage as I have had amazing out of the box accuracy with my 112 BVSS .25-06, however this one will probably be of the .243 variety. After looking at all the models I keep coming back to the 11FCXP3 package as it seems like an incredible value ($350-400 around here). I realize the scope is junk, but at that price it's almost cheaper to buy that and throw the scope away as it is to buy one of the other model 11's without the scope. I will be going with Nikon glass, undecided on power and model so far.

As I stated my primary use will be for coyote, at a range of less than 200yds and maybe the occasional whitetail at 100yds or less. Something that I could throw over my shoulder on the ATV, carry in the truck, and lightweight to carry in the woods.

So with that in mind, here are my questions:

- How concerned should I be that this model doesn't have the accu-trigger based on my usage?

- I've never used a Savage with a detachable clip. Do the clips hold up and feed well, even with age? Easy to get additional clips?

-I assume the barrel/action/stock quality on this rifle would be as good as any others, just without the frills, true?

- Recommendation on glass? Like I said I'd like to stick with Nikon but haven't decided on a model/power. I'm probably going to go with Burris signature series rings and bases.

Thanks in advance.

No one has any input on this model?

I realize the 11FCXPC isn't very popular since it's a stripped down version and only comes in two calibers. Surely someone has some insight on a similar model line though....

I'd skip the package gun/DBM and buy a Stevens 200, then spend the $75-125 you saved on scope/rings/etc.. Same rifle with no DBM or junk scope/rings/etc. to throw away.

I'd skip the package gun/DBM and buy a Stevens 200, then spend the $75-125 you saved on scope/rings/etc.. Same rifle with no DBM or junk scope/rings/etc. to throw away.

Well, that was another option I was considering. I guess if I went that route I would have to get it in camo so I wouldn't have to look at that gaudy gray stock, lol.

Speaking of which, how does the quality of the stock on the aforementioned savage compare to the stevens? I realize the savage in question is not an accu-stock model, but it still looks sturdier than the stevens stock.

Anyone have any input on the trigger, and how bad they really are for this sort of use?

Last edited:
Same stock, different color. The trigger can be worked for a decent feel, $20 for an older three screw trigger would be a good investment if you don't want to spend the money on an aftermarket one.

Same stock, different color. The trigger can be worked for a decent feel, $20 for an older three screw trigger would be a good investment if you don't want to spend the money on an aftermarket one.

I happen to a three screw trigger in the safe if you're interested . I don't know where you are in SW Va , I'm in Bristol.

Mike

I happen to a three screw trigger in the safe if you're interested . I don't know where you are in SW Va , I'm in Bristol.

Mike

Thanks,

If I get one of those models I might be interested, I'll let ya know. I'm about 20mi south of Wytheville.

First I dont know your experience and I am no expert, so the following is only a basic suggestion. I do spend most of my hunting time pursuing yotes so I have some experience in that aspect. A savage 1x or 1xx action is a savage action to include the stevens name thats all it is just a name. The additional lettering designate features. Any how I agree with KRP save your money and buy a stand alone model or a good used one. To keep it inexpensive I recomend the Nikon Pro Staff 4x12 w BDC, a good one piece base and rings. This will allow you spend more on ammo and practice. The BDC is very effective when used properly, it does require use of a chrono with field testing to verify impacts. Another good alternative if it will be strictly a close range yote gun would be a plain jane reticle or the coyote reticle they offer although I dont feel the coyote reticle is suited for long range. The pro stafff line is very deccent for what it is. As far as the stock goes you could replace it with a number of options a very price friedly one would be from boyds as they are very close to a drop in fit just a simple beeding or pillar job and you would be very happy. Im not sure what prices are in your area but I have helped a few friends build the same setup for under $500. Go for whatever fits your taste and enjoy. If you dont have much experience yote hunting and hunt in a close quarters area it is fun to have a partner armed with a shotgun, it can be very benificial.

Re: Savage 11FCXP3, does it live up to the Savage name? YES IT DOES

I just got a 11fxp3 in the .243 ! accutrigger only gose down to 2lbs. I sold the scope and rings for 50.00 to a buddy for his kids 10/22. stock is not so good but will be great for bumping around in the woods.. loads not worked up yet but 400 yards 12" round plate hits.. all in all its a great riffle for 350.00 . I put a monarch x on it and verry happy with the set up .. I will be getting a new stock for it at some point . I was going to get another model with a drop plate but it was more than 150.00 more and would have the same stock just with a floor plate .. new thumb hole stock 130.00 parts for floor plate 65.00 a little more money but a real good stock ( not the cheep stock one ) and now with a floor plate . stay with the savage and the accutrigger you will be happy you did

id check into savage model 10 predator hunter, it comes with the fanciest version of the accustock, the one with the wedge that pushes against the recoil lug, and its also realtree camo, has a really nice recoil pad, not that a 243 kicks but still, it also has dbm and they feed well, they come with a 24" 9.25 twist .745" contour fluted matte black barrel. They are a little more costly but worth it. i have one in 22-250 and you cant push a dime through the hole thats left after ten shots at 100yrds, excellent gun. The prostaff mentioned above is a decent scope for the money, the 4.5-14x 40 buckmaster is a little better but almost 100$ more. if not get the stevens and a cheap nikon and you'll probably still be happy!

And when you look for rings and mounts, take a look at the DNZ game reaper 1piece ring/mount system. Good. Mount, great price, should fit nicely into your build/budget.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.