Has the 30 Nosler lived up to the hype?

I'm curious as to how you size belted brass to headspace off the shoulder. Please elaborate.

Belted cases have the normal head space based on the belt. the chamber is much larger/longer to improve loading in dirty chambers. once you fire your belted cartridge, it grows to fit the chamber and the belted head space is no longer in play unless you full length size the case.

What I like to do is size only enough to allow the round to chamber, and this sets the head space up on the shoulder instead of the belt. I like to feel just a little resistance closing the bolt on the round assuring very little headspace and making the belt inoperative.

J E CUSTOM

Which will still launch 200 grain bullets 2900 +

According to the Hodgdon loading manual at 63,000 psi the 30 Nosler will push a 200 grain bullet 2943 ft/sec. the win mag will push the same bullet
2962 ft/sec the 300 RUM will push it to 3050 ft/sec. so it appears that with all things equal, there is no benefit to the 30 Nosler over the 300 Win mag.

Just My Opinion
J E CUSTOM

According to the Hodgdon loading manual at 63,000 psi the 30 Nosler will push a 200 grain bullet 2943 ft/sec. the win mag will push the same bullet
2962 ft/sec the 300 RUM will push it to 3050 ft/sec. so it appears that with all things equal, there is no benefit to the 30 Nosler over the 300 Win mag.

Just My Opinion
J E CUSTOM
We usually agree but not on this. My real life data tells me not to step over one to get the other. Hodgdon book data hardly matches my real world data.

In other words, what ever floats your boat.

We usually agree but not on this. My real life data tells me not to step over one to get the other. Hodgdon book data hardly matches my real world data.

In other words, what ever floats your boat.

I agree with you, but In the real world, we can load to whatever velocity we chose and can live with. I quoted the numbers as printed with the same barrel length, same bullet weight and the same chamber pressure.
they gave the numbers I posted.

I have loaded well above the listed pressures and regretted it, so I only quote listed data that is at or below 63,000 PSI for safety and less trouble for the shooter. If I take liberties with loads, I know the outcome and have to live with the results.

I never intend to knock one cartridge over another because they all have there strong points and week points. I only try to show a comparison of the cartridges in their class for the poster to decide.

I have studied most, if not all of the new cartridges and found many
with very little improvements over existing cartridges. Being a wildcatter, I look for the cartridge that shows an advantage in what we already have. And if there are none, I move on. I don't believe in making change just for the sake of making change If there is no benefit.

Bottom line is a person can chose whatever cartridge they want for what ever reason they want as you stated. Only time will tell how good a cartridge is and even some of the best have fallen by the way side for one reason or the other. I still own Some of these and keep them because they do such a good job for what they were intended.

As stated, I just try to compare apples to apples and stay away from my likes and dislikes. I like and respect everyone's opinion and Enjoy
hearing their point.

Thanks. (More coffee needed)
J E CUSTOM

During my testing I used the same length barrel as Hogdgon which hardly does justice to any of the 3 cartridges.

I kept my charges to 56k PSI via Pressrure Trace II and all my comparisons to velocity at that pressure. Yes the PTII is not a fine calibrated lab instrument but it's not that far off.

Book fps at 63k PSI is 100+ less than what I found at 56k.

I'm exactly with you on looking for improvement instead of just change (sort of). Since I was not vetted into the 300WM or any of the factory belted magnums I made all those Nosler variants. I like them.

There just isn't enough difference for me to honestly say one is "better". Different, yes.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.