Savage 110 Worthiness??

I honestly don't like these rifles, they are just to much of a money pit to me. I prefer to just get a new action and build a top notch rifle with it, you get a great trigger that is safe, a center feed mag and many better stock and accessory options. Some guys love them but to me they are just time consuming pains to get them to the place I want them :D

If it's a 3 screw trigger, I wouldn't replace it. I've had very good luck making a new spring and adjusting the 3 screw triggers.

All long action round Savages use the 5" spacing.

Large shanks were only on the Ultra Mag and Lapua long actions.

One of my actions has been from 223 up to 338 Edge with several stop in between.

Thanks folks for all the good information.

I've joined Savage Shooters forum and have already spent an inordinate amount of time on the SSS web site. I have never owned a savage bolt action before and I cannot overstate how friendly and informative the folks at Savage Shooters Supply have been to me.

Bigngreen, although I'm operating in the virtual world, I get your point. Sounds like a fun money pit though.

Thanks again!

Matt

you might be interested in what I call the Machaira concept... here's one I did on a Savage 110 30-06... all for well under 500 dollars.

The idea is for a light rifle, still highly accurate... short enough to be fast into action, with 1000 yard capability and a scope that can dial the shots to that range. It can be done... :)

Practical Riflery Forums... techniques and equipment of the practical rifleman... :: View topic - Machaira... (!) :)

DSCN0312.jpg

The Savage platform works well. Shortest lock time of all major rifle makers, plus button rifled barrels (if you're not already planning to rebarrel), short span between action screws limits receiver torquing, floating bolt lugs ensure full contact without having to lap lugs... these are the main reasons why they have such good out of the box accuracy.

Dan

like it 788, If i can figure how to get pictures on here ill post my 2 savage 110 buids tonight, as for lapping the lugs: I still lap the lugs reason being why not, thats just one more thing to ensure great accuracy, as for the money pit i believe anything you build off of "COULD" be a money pit it all depends on what you want and how far you want to go, the (2) 6.5x284"s Im building for the women of my life is gonna be around $2,000 : that is dies, lapua brass, everything! thats not to bad for a custom gun around 1,000 apiece, on the other hand the 338 Lapua Improved I did, well that was around 2,500 by itself, that was a money pit but well worth it!! the 22-250 that we turned into an ackley improved was around 700 dollars, those prices are bullets brass dies etc, like I said ill try to post some pics tonight, day off today off to the home range

788 I like the concept in general and your rifle in particular. Would you elaborate a bit on the offset rings?

huntinmanchris, posting directly from this site is really easy. On this page, click "Post reply", if you scroll down just a bit on the reply page you'll see a button titled "manage attachments". Click on that button and it gives you direct access to your computer directory. At that point you simply double click on any photo you'd like to post. After you've selected up to five photos, click "upload". That's all there is to it.

You can also e-mail me your photos and I will post them for you.

Matt

nice looking rifles for sure... :)

The Burris Signature rings allow you to use their "eccentrics" as they call them. The plastic inserts which sort of work like ball joints inside the metal rings don't scratch the scope tube, and Burris claims they hold tighter than standard steel rings--and they might, at that.

Anyway, you can get a standard Leupold/Redfield style ring/base set up, get the Burris Signature rings, and the eccentric kit, which contains +/-20, 10, and 5 MOA offsets. With those, you can drop the front of the scope and raise the back. I've actually got 30 MOA of lift on the back of my Weaver Grand Slam on the Machiara concept rifle.

What that does is two things: It lets you dial all the way to 1200 yards in this case, and it also just happens to prevent the elevation turret from being dialed one rev too low, causing you to lose your 100 yard zero. If you go with a scope with only 45 to 50 MOA total elevation (a one inch tube), it'll work out about right in the 20 to 30 MOA offset rings, allowing you to reach a 100 yard zero, but not letting you go one rev below your 100 yard zero. In the case of my rifle, it'll go 7 MOA below the 100 yard zero... and I'm out of travel. I just bring the turret back up to the zero mark, and I'm there... The Grand Slam's micro-trac system doesn't mind working off the bottom of the elevation limit... I've never had a problem at all, and have set up two other rifles this same way.

Here's a link, with some photos of the GS on my .243 long range gun...

Practical Riflery Forums... techniques and equipment of the practical rifleman... :: View topic - Dialing for long range shots on a budget...

If you ever go with a Grand Slam, the turret mod I show is pretty essential in my opinion... it works out great. :)

By the way... lots of guys think the Redfield style base is too weak to be relied on... but I've seen an awful lot of guys mount 2 pound scopes in a pound of Badger rings and bases... and it's all held to the receiver with the same three teenie-weenie screws that the Redfield base is held on with... so you gotta go figure. :eek:

Dan

huntinmanchris,

Your 110 based 338 Lapua Improved and 22-250 Ackley are sharp looking rifles.

green 788,

Thank you for explaining the "offsets", and for the other great information.

Apologies to you both for not getting back here quicker.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.