Savage 110 Hunter -- Experience? Using this for semi-custom?

I have had 5 so far, 300wm, shoots.250, a 7mm, shoots .275, 308, 20" that shoots .125, a 308, 26" that shoots .128, and a $175. 6.5 creedmore axis that shoots .450 stock. I would say they are the best bang for the buck! And there not a nova, there a mustang GT!

My factory savage 300 win le version with factory hs precision stock and lug bed job shoots half Moa at 800 yards. 208 grain amax and h1000. Off bags and a bench on a calm day. Boringly accurate.
I bought a factory .300 WM T-SR barrel off the site earlier this year and it is very accurate out to 1100 yards (furthest I've taken it) with Federal Match 190 grain ammo. Last time I stretched it out I was smacking a 3/4 moa plate at over 600 yards with boring ease. Plus this barrel is really fast. This rifle (action, stock) has seen 20 years of hard use and abuse and sure looks like it, but man does it shoot!

I think about savages as the Chevy nova of rifles. No it's not a Chevelle nor was it intended to be. You can drive the heck out of them as is or you can invest a little over time and build a hot rod. Lots of options and easy to work on.
That made me sit up and take notice, used to street race an L88 big block nova, they used to laugh at it when we would pull in the hang outs but it ran in the 10's and did its job. I pull out some savage's to work on or shoot and even friends at my gun shop hangout grin and roll their eyes..... but they never want to do any group size comparisons.

For me to clarify my earlier statement about a decent action......a decent savage action has to produce under 1/2" groups with any rifle I build around it. So far so good Dave

Last edited:
I have a Shilen rifle custom bench rest and a Bruce Baer custom benrest rifle. But I also have 8 custom Savage rifles with 1/4th the money or less in them and they all shoot about the same. One Savage is a one hole gun the rest are ragged hole groups. With box factory ammo the Savages shoot the best everytime. With reloads its what you can do that day................223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 22-243AI, 6mmbr, .243AI, 260AI, .308, 30-06AI, .308 Baer Magnum.
The Gunsmith makes the difference with a quality product.

Hello all,

Taking a look at the 110 Hunter in 300WM for an "over time" hunting build. It would be very basic, eventually change the barrel, lug and possibly stock. I was curious if there is any difference in models, or if all 110s are the same? Any experiences with this specific rifle? Is this a good action to build off of?

Thank you!
I've built ten Savage actions over the years, great actions and easy to spin on a different barrel and commence shooting. I've built a couple for accuracy and bench shooting as well. The key is to start with a trued action and a good stock. Then add a good trigger. If you have one of the Accutrigger models those work just fine for most any hunting rifle. The tupperware stocks that Savage puts on their rifles are not going to provide a stable mount for your hardware. A good Boyds stock or other aftermarket stock makes a huge difference. Bedding and other accuracy fixes go a long way to making that rifle consistent. If you don't understand headspacing, get some professional help to stay out of trouble. Good luck and good shooting.

I've put Bell & Carlsons on 2 Savage 110 builds. The most recent was a .280AI (used Savage 110 action purchased on this site, Criterion barrel/NSS recoil lug & nut, B&C stock). It shoots between .5 and .7 at 200 yards depending on what kind of day I'm having.
View attachment 165898

Did you have to do any modification to the stock or did it drop in? Did you need longer/different action screws? Did you bed it in the B&C? Considering a B&C for my 110.

Thanks in advance.

Just finished another semi custom yesterday, my smith finished the work and today I put all the pieces back together to begin load tuning. This one is a model 10, basically a 110 but a short action. I love these guns, its not like diesel in a vette at all (poor comparison) its like a basically strong, accurate action with no attempt to appeal by status or name. Doesn't fit like a handmade custom for sure.......but it doesn't cost like one either :) If the action functions without problem and the floating bolt head adjusts for any lug misalignment, and the headspace is precise, any changes made to perfect the trigger or skim bed the pillared action just enhance the result.

What is that result? ACCURACY I don't care if its not a hand assembled head turner with the best parts. Its the target's...... will it shoot with the best rifles out there? Yes it will, I'm an accuracy junkie, and thats where the rubber hits the road for me. I know that's not what a lot of shooters care about and I give them full admiration and respect for the beautiful guns they own and shoot, credit where credit is due. At the range however its run what you brung and there the groups speak for themselves. I like the savages and tikka's and tuned 700's that deliver lights out accuracy and pack a lot of bang for the buck.

I don't think that there is much to debate about, really. Savages shoot, flat out! I really had my eyes opened up to the world of Savage rifles a couple of years ago. I shot prone next to a guy in a formatted medium-long range shoot, and it was all I could do to not laugh at this guy. He had a savage axis (sub $300 at the time) in 6.5 CM with a pencil barrel and gaudy looking clamp-on tank brake, sitting in a boyds tacticool stock, with a home made cheek riser. So, as the shoot went (12 targets ranging from 250-800 yds 1-3moa size targets), I noticed that this guy never missed, he ran the course of fire cleanly. And hits hits weren't marginal. I didn't do nearly as well with my 'good looking' rifle. I have since gotten to know this guy very well. We are best of friends, and I have built/rebuilt over a dozen savage rifles for myself and for friends. Most guys took the savage approach to save a few buck. None have been disappointed with performance. Some, myself included, have enjoyed DIY barrel swaps, but still like the fancy stuff, too. And there is nothing wrong with that.

Savage rifles are like women. Most need a little fixing up. My grandfather used to say a good coat of paint helps the looks of any old barn. There is also the old saying a paper bag can turn the worst looking into a prom queen. Savages might not be the latest, greatest, sexiest looking but you don't have to take them to a plastic surgeon and pay his price to make them attractive. Savage's are like ARs. Big boys tinker toys.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.